Five Actionable Steps in Maintaining a People (member) Led
We’ve distilled our thinking into five actionable steps based on our experience of navigating transformative change with RFS’s complex frontline workforce.
1. Continuously listen – Create the channels and forums and be attuned to your workforce and its broader ecosystem. Ask their point of view and be flexible and challenge your way of thinking.
2. Peer and leader messaging – Support key representatives to tell their stories, in their way to help bring to life the transformation plan and enable their advocacy for the change.
3. Consider the workforce experiences that will enable these outcomes – such as different habits, behaviours and ways of working, as well as the end-to-end employee journey – and how to realise these in physical and virtual environments. Our teams took the time to walk-in-the-shoes of RFS volunteers and staff. As Ben Thwaites recalls “We went to the fire control sensors, climbed on trucks, and heard about the experiences in particular from the 2019/2020 season. And when you hear those stories, when you experience those things, you can't help but be inspired to be a part of a journey, helping both their volunteers and also the community at large in how data and information is used to better protect communities, people and ultimately lives from bushfire risk”.
4. Define the transformation with the future business outcomes and workforce experiences in mind - Define what tools, people, technology or competencies need to be considered? Should any existing capabilities or solutions be stopped or modified?
5. Experiment - Pilot a new experience for your workforce. Iterate, innovate, and evolve as you continue listening to your workforce. Know that volunteers and staff juggling BAU often can’t participate during business hours – be flexible.
The RFS membership-led transformation journey is a reminder that our workforces remain central to the future of work and the delivery of services to community. It has been a privilege to partner with RFS through this transformation who have been open to experimenting and refining our approach with member engagement over time. We have been open to learning along the way as well and this have enabled capability growth in our teams and a trusted working relationship.