Turning the corner - Global metals outlook
- To determine what lies ahead for this sector, Deloitte Global Manufacturing Industry Group turned to a panel of metals industry leaders, including Nick Sowar, Claude Martin, and Dick McLaughlin, for perspectives on the state of the global metals industry
- The key outlooks that this paper provides are:
- Global metal demand has dried up, prompting lay-offs, oven and furnace off-lining, and broken contracts
- Positive signs include a drop in supply, industry consolidation, and opportunities to buy bargain assets
- Companies need to drive out fixed costs throughout their entire organisation and consider restructuring
- Key questions answered are whether China is the answer, what the impact of the global financial crisis on service centres is and the paper provides some of the key issues for manufacturers in the global metals sector over the next 12 months.