Deloitte Global Security Survey for the Technology, Media & Telecommunications (TMT) industry 2010
The fifth annual TMT survey indicates that Following last year’s widespread cost-cutting initiatives due to the global economic downturn, spend on technology, media and telecommunications (TMT), security appears to be bouncing back – albeit modestly – in anticipation of renewed economic growth. Although budgets are improving, they remain the greatest barrier to effective information security. This year’s budget increases are a step in the right direction but may not make up for the ground lost during the economic downturn. The increasing sophistication of threats and professionalisation of organised cyber crime make this even harder.
This year’s survey also reveals that:
- 10% of TMT organizations increased their information security budget by more than 10% over the last 12 months
- More than one-third (36%) increased their budgets up to 10%
- 37% of organisations surveyed said the increasing sophistication of threats is the second largest major barrier to ensuring effective information security
- 26% of TMT organisations experienced repeated attacks by malicious software from outside the organisation
- Identity and access management are among the top three most important information security initiatives for 2010.