African Mining Indaba Special Edition
Edition 124 January 2013
Welcome to the inaugural African Mining Indaba special edition of the Deloitte WA Stock Exchange Index (Deloitte WA Index), a monthly review of Western Australian (WA) stocks and indices.
In this special edition of the Deloitte WA Index we look at West Australian mining companies with significant operations in Africa, which comprise the African Mining Indaba - Deloitte WA Index (AMI Deloitte WA Index) and what they have achieved over the last five years.
Highlights from this special edition of the Deloitte WA Index include:
- The market capitalisation of WA listed companies as at 31 December 2012 was AU$148.6bn, an increase of 1.0% over the past 12 months
- Over the last year, the performance of WA listed companies with significant operations in Africa has been heavily impacted by volatile commodity markets, fears over global credit concerns, and political instability in various host countries
- We recognise the exceptional growth of two mining companies over the past 12 months. Given the global financial downturn and poor economic outlook, the success of these companies to overcome these factors and record growth in market capitalisation is an achievement to be celebrated. These companies were:
- Papillon Resources Limited, which increased its market capitalisation from AU$124m to AU$463m over the year ended 31 December 2012
- Resolute Mining Limited, which increased its market capitalisation from AU$800m to AU$1.1bn over the year ended 31 December 2012
- We also recognise those companies that have achieved significant growth over the past five years – not surprisingly we see a strong representation from the gold and iron ore sector
- Despite the slowdown in global manufacturing activity and other economic headwinds, in general industrial metal prices remained relatively buoyant throughout 2012, with supply-constrained metals such as copper maintaining a pricing premium, and most industrial metals prices surveyed posting gains in over the course of the year
- Feature articles in this special edition include:
- An interview with Managing Director of Sundance Resources Limited, Mr. Giulio Casello, on the opportunities and challenges of investing in Africa and Sundance's journey
- How digital technologies are disrupting mining in Africa
- Corporate social responsibility – a new level of responsible behaviour
- Transparency in Africa – the fight against bribery and corruption
- Perspectives on mining operations performance improvement.
If you have any questions in relation to the Deloitte WA Index please contact Marta Klimczak.