Global Powers of Retailing 2012
Australian retail giants, Woolworths and Wesfarmers, are now listed in the world’s top 25 retail companies for the second consecutive year, according to the Deloitte Global Powers of Retailing 2012 report.
The report, which identifies the 250 largest retailers by revenue globally for the fiscal year 2010, lists Woolworths in 18th (20th last year) and Wesfarmers in 21st position (23rd last year).
Read and download the full report: 'Global powers of retail 2012'.
Key global findings
- Aggregate sales of the top 250 retailers reached US$3.94 trillion
- The share of total top 250 retail sales accounted for by the top 10 retailers slipped again in 2010 to 29.4 percent, down from 30 percent in 2009 and a high of 30.2 percent in 2008
- Tesco PLC once again became the world’s third largest retailer, overtaking Metro AG by virtue of consistently solid sales growth over the last few years
- The proportion of sales generated from foreign operations increased to 23.4 percent in 2010, up from 22.2 percent in 2009 and higher than the previous peak of 22.9 percent in 2008
- The pace of globalisation increased last year, with 88 new market entries made by 40 retailers across 57 countries.
Global top ten
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Carrefour S.A.
- Tesco PLC
- Metro AG
- The Kroger Co.
- Schwarz Unternehmens Treuhand KG
- Costco Wholesale Corporation
- The Home Depot, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.
- Aldi Einkauf GmbH & Co. oHG