How does the service work?
The service operates as follows:
- Tip-offs Anonymous will provide a subscribing organisation with a unique 0800 FreeCall telephone number and unique e-mail address, a generic FreePost address and FreeCall facsimile facility as well as access to a generic website from which tip-offs can be sent.
- These details are then communicated to the stakeholders of the organisation by way of various promotional and advertising media (posters, videos, newsletters etc).
- Trained operators will respond to calls in a number of languages at a secure contact centre equipped with state of the art equipment – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Operators will interview callers, probing for specific facts such as dates, times, locations, people, amounts involved and any witnesses.
- This information is then analysed and assessed for urgency and importance.
- It is also sanitised to ensure that the name of the caller and any identifying information is excluded from the tip-off report, unless the person chooses to have this information disclosed to the organisation.
- It is then forwarded to a designated senior executive of the organisation by way of written tip-off reports, without revealing the identity of the person making the call, unless the person has expressly chosen otherwise.
- This designated executive is then responsible for the decision as to how the information should be followed up and investigated. The Tip-offs Anonymous contact centre does not get involved in this investigation process.
- Tip-offs received by fax, e-mail, post and those made via the website are processed in the same way as a tip-off received via telephone.
- Tip-offs Anonymous is therefore merely a conduit through which persons can make tip-offs in a totally confidential and anonymous manner.
Critical success factors
We have identified certain critical success factors to ensure the success of the hotline facility:
- For your organisation
- For Tip-offs Anonymous
- For your Organisation
- Visible commitment from senior company management and the board of directors.
- Initial launch and communication campaign of the service, the contact details, the risks of using the service and how it operates.
- Ongoing and appropriate awareness and marketing initiatives.
- Clear and authorised reporting structure for the receipt of tip-off reports.
- Commitment to follow up and investigate tip-off reports as well as to conduct appropriate follow up and corrective action.
- Buy-in from and consultation with all stakeholder groups, in particular employees as well as organised labour, if applicable to your organisation.
- Aligning the initiative with the values and ethos of your organisation. For Tip-offs Anonymous
- Tailored response to persons making tip-offs so as to obtain as much relevant information as possible.
- Respecting and acting in accordance with the choice of the person making a tip-off as to whether they wish to remain anonymous to the subscribing organisation.
- Feedback to persons making tip-offs on the response and actions taken by your organisation.
- The provision of a credible and professional service that earns the trust and respect of your organisation’s stakeholders and is and seen to be totally independent of your organisation.