Foreign Donor & Philanthropic Funding Programme and Project Services
In order to play a strategic role and contribute positively to the Southern African region’s people and economic development, health and other initiatives, Deloitte provide practical and innovative solutions that can be tailored to the foreign donor organisation’s and the philanthropist’s strategy, needs, interests and priorities.
The mission of Deloitte in this specific area is to help governments, intergovernmental organisations, non-governmental organisations, corporate organisations, foundations, family and individual donors create strategic, effective and coordinated philanthropy in the Southern Africa environment through the implementation of innovative and sustainable projects aimed at the uplifting of underprivileged individuals and communities. Our clients rely on us to bridge the gap between donor/philanthropic intentions and actions; between opportunities and results. It also means that we are well versed in both potential opportunities and problems and our role is to identify both, whilst maximizing the opportunities and managing the challenges and risks. We follow a collaborative approach in developing solutions with and for clients. Everything we do is designed to realise, enhance and safeguard a client’s goals and all our services can be customised to a particular organisation/institution, family/individual foundation or trust’s needs and requirements.
Our team in consists of a talented group of multi-functional specialists with thorough knowledge and experience in the socio-political and economic development environment, supported by seasoned project managers, all dedicated to helping our clients evaluate complex issues, develop fresh approaches to problems and implement practical solutions. We have a proud record of the management of foreign donor funds and successful delivery of large-scale projects, and we are professionally recognised for our exceptional client service.
Our fees are fair, simple and clear and based on the level and scope of service we provide. Our services include the following:
- Strategic Advisory and Research Services
- Researching trends, issues, strategies and institutions relevant to donor and philanthropic grant-making projects
- Conducting a thorough issue analysis for a potential area of funding, and advising the donor(s) accordingly, including project feasibility studies
- Coordinating with other funders with similar goals to establish special projects or collaborative funds
- Designing strategies that will increase the effectiveness and impact of the donor and philanthropic interventions.
- Design and development of a governance framework, including project policies and procedures, Terms of Reference, Service Level Agreements, reporting formats/templates, etc.
- Establishment and management of the Project Steering Committee
Project Planning and Implementation, and Risk Management
- Designing and developing project implementation plans with clearly defined objectives, targets, timeframes, milestones, etc.
- Performing due diligence on and evaluation of potential or identified beneficiary projects/programmes, charities, other beneficiaries, grants – including conducting site visits. Assessing a potential beneficiary’s financial stability, sound management and effective corporate governance, which will include adhering to anti-terrorist and other regulatory or legislative compliance funding procedures
- Performing due diligence on project service/product providers, in line with the project procurement policies and guidelines, and managing contracts
- Conducting site visits as part of the overall project quality assurance framework
- Designing and developing an appropriate project risk matrix and risk mitigating activities, and managing all project risks accordingly
- Maintaining all administrative records.
Project Monitoring, Verification and Evaluation
- Conducting regular and annual reviews of the implementation of the projects and recommending amendments or improvements
- Verifying project deliverables linked to the Project Implementation Plan and reporting results for payment and governance purposes
- Evaluating the outcomes and results of the projects, including a full/overall impact assessment.
Project Information Management and Reporting
- Providing customised reporting (both electronic, e.g. web-enabled, and in writing) designed to help clients see the full range of their grant-making activities and to assess their progress toward achieving the desired outcomes, and providing the reports to the donor’s governance and management structures as required
- Maintaining and updating a knowledge base on all projects/programmes, donor and philanthropic trends/issues and related matters
Project Financial and Investment Management, Taxation and Legal Services
- Developing and monitoring project and grant-making budgets
- Coordinating all activities with legal, financial and tax advisors, including preparing information needed for tax returns and other filings
- Handling account transactions and making all payments for operating expenses
- Maintaining project and grant payments, monitoring and reporting systems
- Preparing, reviewing, analysing, reconciling and monitoring all financial reports and statements
- Submission of financial reports and statements for audit purposes
- Ensuring sound design and implementation of investment policies.
Project Branding, Communication and Advocacy
- Ensuring that the donor and the project(s) receive maximum exposure with all relevant public and private stakeholders, and the donor community
- Ensuring that the donor’s brand and reputation is built and enhanced through communication in the media and through private engagements
- Create awareness of and promote the socio-economic development of people and countries, and the role of donors and philanthropy in funding and delivering major projects in this regard through publications aimed at the public at large and other relevant private and public sector stakeholders.