Programme and Project Management
Strategic Portfolio Management
Portfolio management should optimise the balance between delivery, the release of value, cost, equity, risk appetite, key stakeholder expectations and proposed outcomes.
Deloitte helps our clients turn their corporate strategy or public policy into a defined set of programme and project activities. We help clients to develop and maintain a corporate focus on optimising their portfolio of projects and programmes by having a broad and long-term view of portfolio delivery that responds effectively to changing external and/or internal conditions and organisational objectives.
Through the development of strategic portfolio management, we can support an organisation’s ability to continuously:
- Anticipate, evaluate, prioritise and monitor the demands being made on vital resources
- Track trends in the delivery of organisational benefits
- Re-evaluate/re-prioritise efforts based on changing organisational objectives
Our services include:
- Analysis and review of the business’s portfolio of current and planned projects
- Alignment of projects with the business strategy and goals
- Project prioritisation and advise on projects with greatest benefit to the organisation
- Optimisation of the business’s project portfolio to make most efficient use of resources and minimise change impact on the business
Specialist Advisory Services
We provide specialist programme advisory services related to:
- Conducting of project feasibility studies and development of business cases
- Value tracking
- Project funding support
Programme and Project Management
Deloitte supports our clients in developing their programme management approaches across their programme portfolios and specific projects. As part of this, we provide experienced professionals to initiate, sustain and transfer leading practice programme management skills and knowledge.
We approach the development of programme management through a consistent framework focusing on the following activities:
- Developing a programme management leadership group to translate policies and strategy into project activities
- Promoting consensus on a unified governance and risk approach which applies common measures and reporting across the programme
- Embedding a universal set of program processes, competencies and tools across the programme
- Identifying employees with relevant skills and experience to manage programmes, while supplementing, as necessary, any gaps in capability with appropriate specialist advisers
- Developing of an integrated and interactive planning and delivery methodology and process which helps manage demand, activity and resource
- Embedding a standard programme reporting lifecycle providing a common language for the programme.
Our PMO approach, consisting of interconnected dimensions to provide project integration across the project lifecycle:
- Programme or project design and planning
- Outcome management
- Programme or project support
- Risk and issue management
- Financial and procurement management
- Monitoring, verification and progress reporting
- Stakeholder management.
This approach helps management avoid common causes of programme or project failure and can be adapted to all industries, organisations or project types.
Programme and Project Assurance
Effective governance and control of programmes is essential to the successful delivery of corporate objectives. Organisations need to have appropriate frameworks in place to provide a suitable level of assurance, which increases the level of control, reduces the programme and operational risk of executing programmes and provides senior management with greater confidence in the probability of successfully achieving the intended results.
At Deloitte, we believe that programme assurance is an integral part of programme management. Using a range of leading practice methodologies and diagnostic tools, our experienced programme practitioners provide senior management with a number of services to help identify issues, risk and improvement opportunities for individual programmes or a portfolio of programs, including:
- Development of a project governance framework
- Provide independent reviews/health checks of programmes or projects
- Assessment of programme/project maturity
- Gateway reviews
- Project recovery
- Provide recommendations re remedial actions
- On-going project performance monitoring and reporting
Strategic Programme and Project Risk Management
Strategic Risk Management focuses on the control of risk in Programme and Project Management environments, linking risk dependencies across the strategic planning, operational management and programme or project delivery phases.
Strategic Risk Management determines where risk exposure is the greatest risk to the delivery programme or project within the context of the risk profile inherent to the industry or environment in which the programme or project is being executed. Strategic Risk Management allocates appropriate resource, budget and responsibilities to ensure risk outcomes follow the strategic objectives of the organisation’s programme or project.
Our services include:
- Development of risk management frameworks and risk profiles
- Development of risk management strategies and policies
- Risk assessments
- Risk oversight
Keeping abreast of professional news and latest developments in programme and project management is one of the biggest challenges we all face. That’s why we’ve pulled together a collection of our thought leadership and publications from around the globe that can help you keep up — and get ahead.
In this regard Deloitte produces a range of thought leadership to explain and discuss topical and practical issues relating to programme and project management:
- Publication of articles and discussion-, analysis-, evaluation- and research papers
- Case studies
- Interactive discussions and workshops
Interim Project Management Resourcing
At Deloitte, we recognise there are times that our clients simply need experienced resource support for their projects. Key drivers for these short-term needs include:
Shortfall of resources
Opportunities or projects requiring immediate short-term/transitional resourcing
An objective resource is required to meet audit and assurance review requirements
Experienced resources needed to deliver an exemplar project for the wider organisational project maturity development
Experienced resource required to embed and transfer repeatable systems and processes
Interim resource required for additional non-core business projects to maintain staff focus
Current resources are lacking the experience or expertise needed to deliver an urgent project
Mobile resources required for overseas delivery
Cross-competency resource required for effective delivery (i.e. Corporate Finance and Organisational Strategy)
Consistency in a Changing Environment
External resources required to provide consistency during a major change (e.g. during a cost reduction program).
We have access to a large pool of experienced professionals, both within our staff and our trusted contractors, who can fulfil the following roles:
- Project Management and Administration
- Risk Management
- PMO Management
- Quality Management
- Financial Management
- Change Management
- Communications/Stakeholder Management