As regulatory pressures build and natural resources become ever more limited, sustainability and climate change strategy has become a cornerstone of business strategy.
Organisations need to understand their business through a sustainability lens. Understanding how their organisation performs today while remaining mindful of the need to remain sustainable in the future is a key business imperative. Organisations need to begin to understand that the future is not the same as the past. There are a number of sustainability-and-climate-change-related game changers on the horizon, each of which could present both risks and opportunities in the future.
Deloitte has a dedicated Sustainability and Climate Change advisory team that is well positioned to address the multifaceted challenges of developing an implementable sustainability and climate change strategy. We advise clients at a strategic and tactical level with a view to protecting and growing shareholder and stakeholder value by understanding and managing sustainability and climate change issues.
Our team supports companies in the following areas:
- Sustainability Strategy, where we analyse risks and opportunities and formulate implementable sustainability strategies
- Climate Change Strategy, where we develop a strategic response to the risks and opportunities presented by climate change
- Carbon Management, where we prepare companies for new reporting requirements by identifying and measuring major sources of emissions
- Clean Development Mechanism advisory, where we help companies to access incentives, in the form of carbon credits, for reducing their emissions (This mechanism presents companies with an opportunity to subsidise large-scale investment projects.)
- Carbon Tax Management, where we draw on the extensive expertise of Deloitte in tax, carbon and economics to advise clients on how to adjust and achieve competitive advantage in South Africa’s changing carbon tax environment
- Renewable Energy advisory, where we assist clients to access new renewable energy opportunities by providing cross-functional offerings like project advisory services relating to renewable energy projects, financial model review and economic development
- Water Management advisory, where we help clients to better manage their water resources, reducing costs, mitigating risk and maximising opportunities
- Green grants and incentives, where we help clients realise the benefits of tax incentives targeted at energy efficiency