Adopt a School Foundation
|For every race entry received, R2.50 will be donated to the Adopt-a-School Foundation.|
About adopt a school
In 2001, Cyril Ramaphosa was approached by his former primary school, Tshilidzi Primary in Soweto, to assist with the donation of a fax machine. When he returned to his school to hand over the donation and saw the further needs of the school, the notion of the Adopt-a-School Foundation was born. In 2002, the Foundation was officially established by a group of concerned individuals including Cyril Ramaphosa and Dr James Motlatsi.
The Foundation strives to address the inequalities and inadequacies in our rural and disadvantaged schools, in order to ensure positive learning experiences which will lead to greater opportunities for South Africa’s youth.
Over the last 10 years Adopt-a-School has inspired both businesses and individuals in the private sector to invest effectively in education in South Africa through our model of Whole School Development.
How to get involved:
We need passionate people to help spread awareness about the work of the Adopt-a-School Foundation and raise critical funds to help us change lives through education.
Adopt a school
Individuals, groups of individuals, a company, or groups of companies can adopt one or more schools.
Adopt a school project
We offer a variety of interventions that can have a tremendous impact on a school. This enables you to provide assistance on a once off basis. By collaborating with us and other partners, we can increase the impact we make in the schools we work in.
Start a Campaign
Pledge your birthday or any special occasion by asking your family and friends to make a donation instead of gifts.
Contribute to the wellbeing and education of our learners by offering your time, services or materials.
By applying for a MySchool card and nominating Adopt-a-School Foundation as a beneficiary, individuals can support the foundation without it costing a cent. Every time you swipe your card at any of the participating stores, a percentage of sales will be donated to the Adopt-a-School Foundation on your behalf.
- Nearly 170 schools are currently under our adoption programme.
- Since inception we have built over 265 school facilities. These include classrooms, computer centres, ablution blocks, and administration blocks, feeding scheme kitchens, security fences, Grade R facilities, science labs, libraries and multipurpose sports facilities.
- Through these infrastructure projects we have created over 3 500 temporary jobs and benefited over 240 small to medium sized businesses.
- We have trained over 460 educators and school governing body members in a variety of fields. These include computer training, science training, leadership skills, governance and strategic planning, librarian skills, life skills, first aid and language and literacy training.
- We have provided eye sight testing to over 3 500 learners and provided 628 of those learners with glasses.
- We have donated food parcels, schools uniforms, blankets and Christmas gifts to hundreds of orphaned and vulnerable learners in our schools.
- We have empowered communities to make their own interventions.