Packaging Update: First Quarter 2013
Deloitte Corporate Finance LLC
This quarter’s Packaging Update, produced by Deloitte Corporate Finance LLC (DCF), summarizes recent transactions within this industry along with information on active buyers, current transaction valuation multiples and an overview of the public market’s perception of the industry.
- Wave of consolidation within the folding cartons segment.
- Transactions in developed markets are being driven by efforts to right-size the market, rationalize capacity, and encourage more discipline.
- In emerging markets, such as Latin America and Asia, multi-national companies are acquiring local players in an effort to generate volume growth and expand along with their global customers.
- Significant investments in new capacity in the North American tissue market.
- 600,000 tons of new tissue capacity announced over the next few years.
- Majority of new capacity is going into the private-label retail segment, which is expected to lead to increased competition in supermarket and big box aisles. This will likely result in aggressive pricing strategies and pressure on branded players.
To read more, download the Packaging Update.