Meet Dr. Joseph A. Stanislaw
Independent Senior Advisor, Energy & Sustainability, Deloitte LLP
Joseph A. Stanislaw is founder of the advisory firm The JAStanislaw Group, LLC, specializing in strategic thinking, sustainability, and environmentally sound investment in energy and technology. He is also an Independent Senior Advisor to Deloitte’s Energy & Sustainability practice, a role which includes assisting the organization and its clients in identifying and developing services and strategies in the areas of clean and emerging technologies, sustainable development, carbon initiatives and innovation. Dr. Stanislaw was one of three founders of Cambridge Energy Research Associates in 1983 and served as managing director for all non-U.S. activity until 1997, when he was named president and chief executive officer.
Current assignments and associations:
- Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions, Duke University – Board of Advisors
- Nicholas Center for Environment and Earth Sciences, Duke University – Adjunct Professor
Climate Change Capital – Member of Advisory Board. Climate Change Capital is a leading investment banking group specializing in the commercial opportunities created by a low carbon economy. It advises and invests in companies who recognize that combating global warming is both a necessity and an economic opportunity. Its activities aim to make the world's environment cleaner while delivering attractive financial returns.
Good Energies Inc. – Member of Advisory Board. Good Energies Inc. (GEI) is one of the world’s leading and largest investors in renewable energy. GEI focuses on investments in solar and wind energy, and other alternative clean technologies, with a particular commitment to improving the quality of life for citizens of impoverished nations.
Monaco Eco+ – Member of Advisory Board. Monaco Eco+ is a specialized investment fund in small- and mid-sized companies that operate within the main economic sectors while leaving the minimum environmental and carbon footprint possible. The fund is managed by The Compagnie Monegasque de Banque and Sustainable Investments LLC.
Dana Gas – Member of International Advisory Board. Dana Gas is a publicly listed natural gas resource company based in the United Arab Emirates. The company is focused on the growing natural gas business in the Gulf and the surrounding area while pursuing an agenda based on the highest standards of sustainable development.
Council on Foreign Relations (CFR). Elected Member of the CFR. An independent organization and nonpartisan center for scholars dedicated to producing and disseminating ideas for a better understanding of the world and the foreign policy choices facing the United States and other governments.
The Commanding Heights: The Battle for the World Economy (Simon & Schuster, 1998). Now in its second edition.
- Excerpts from The New York Times Book Review of February 8, 1998: ―[The authors] describe the broadest and most dramatic long-fused revolution of this century—the changing balance of power from governments to markets, and the significant effects of this change on politics, economics and culture … It is an extraordinarily ambitious undertaking …‖ Jeffrey E. Garten, Dean of the Yale School of Management
- The book has been translated into 13 languages and made into a six-hour documentary which aired on PBS in April 2002 as the network’s major television series on globalization, and again on PBS in May 2003. The documentary received very positive reaction and recommendation. In March 2003, it aired on British television, BBC4.
Energy Economics: Growth, Resources, and Policies (Cambridge University Press, 1981) (coauthor).
- Navigating the Roiling International Waters,‖ Journal of Petroleum Technology, December 2002
- Petroleum Industry Faces Tectonic Shifts, Changing Global Energy Map,‖ Oil & Gas Journal, December 1999
- Oil: Reopening the Door,‖ Foreign Affairs, Autumn 1993. (co-author)
Representative List of Publications and Reports
- Energy and the Environment: Global Strategies
- The New Prize: From Commodity to Customer
- Embracing Change
- Emerging Global Energy Companies: Eye on the 21st Century
- Scenarios for the Energy Future: Oil and Gas Strategies
- The Fight for Market Share: Will Oil Regain Lost Ground in Power Generation?
- The New Battle: Natural Gas versus Oil in North America
- Setting the Trend: The New Triangle of Price Determination
- Prague Spring: Czech Transgas Leaps into the 21st Century
- Ecotaxes and Oil Prices: A New Battle?
- The Vanishing Barrel: Inventories, Oil Prices, and the Emergence of the OPEC Cycle
- How Low Can It Go? The Dynamics of Oil Prices
- OPEC’s Deepening Dilemma
- Energy: The New Rules of the Game
- A Producer-Consumer Dialogue Revisited
- The Resurgence of Oil Demand
- Eastern and Central Europe: Economies in Transition
- The US Strategic Petroleum Reserve: Margin of Safety
- World Oil Trends and the Future of Oil Prices: The Perils of Prophecy (with Arthur Andersen & Co., S.C.)
- Energy in Flux: The 21st Century’s Greatest Challenge (with Deloitte LLP)
- Climate Change and Energy Security: The Future is Now (with Deloitte LLP)
- Climate Changes Everything: The Dawn of the Green Economy (with Deloitte LLP)
- Power Play: Resource Nationalism, the Global Scramble for Energy, and the Need for Mutual Interdependence (with Deloitte LLP)
- A Five-Point Plan to Power and Empower America (with Deloitte LLP)
- Clean Over Green: Striking a New Energy Balance as We Build a Bridge to a Low-Carbon Future (with Deloitte LLP)
- Clean Energy 1.0: Moving Beyond Green to Create Sustainable Jobs and a Long-Term Energy Strategy (with Deloitte LLP)
Civic and Charitable Activities and Positions
Dr. Stanislaw has established and is personally involved with a number of civic charities that include the following:
- Podmoskovny Lyceum. Dr. Stanislaw is on the Board of Trustees of this orphanage school created as a model prototype for quality education as an investment in Russia’s future.
- Champion High School, Warren, Ohio. Dr. Stanislaw and his brother Paul created and funded this prize in honor of their parents. The awards are made in recognition of academic excellence, service to the community, and assessment of an essay in which candidates examine their experiences and community in a small town in light of the larger world.
- Valery Graifer Prize in Honor of Vladimir I. Muravlenko. A scholarship established by Dr. and Mrs. Stanislaw at the Gubkin Institute of Oil and Gas, Russia’s primary energy research center. Mr. Graifer is Chairman of the Board of Directors of LUKOil and General Director of OAO RITEK. The prize is given to students who demonstrate academic excellence in energy and economics.
- Maryino Orphanage, Moscow. Mrs. Liudmila A. Kotova, Director. Dr. and Mrs. Stanislaw began a program to support the orphanage. One aspect is the Stanislaw Art Prize, which encourages the children to create Christmas cards, and is awarded annually.
- Saint Trinity Church, Moscow. Father Sergi. This Russian Orthodox Church was in severe disrepair. Dr. and Mrs. Stanislaw initiated a program to assist in the repair of the church structure and support purchase of icons and other works that sustain the community.
- On Dr. Stanislaw’s initiative, CERA established and supports two scholarships in Siberia. Tomsk State University (two scholarships) and Tomsk Polytechnic University (one scholarship). These scholarships are awarded on the basis of faculty recommendations and candidates’ essays on topics related to energy.
Education and Honorary Titles
Gubkin Russian State University of Oil and Gas, Moscow, Russia. Awarded Honorary Doctorate and Professorship, April 2004. Dr. Stanislaw became one of only seven people to have been awarded an Honorary Doctorate and Professorship at this prestigious Russian institute of higher learning.
University of Edinburgh, Scotland, Ph.D. 1975. Thesis: labor market segmentation
University of Cambridge, M.A. 1979. Economics. Awarded after being appointed a Fellow at Clare Hall, Cambridge. Harvard College, B.A., cum laude, 1971. Major: Economics 1983–2005