Estate, Gift, Trust, and Charitable Planning
Creating a sound estate plan
Although it can be uncomfortable to think about, planning for long-term post-mortem estate management and wealth transfer is a vital exercise to accomplish. It is especially important for high-net-worth individuals and their families, for whom the process and issues can be more complex. The ideal time to make these decisions is early on, so a plan will be in place and the wishes for your legacy will be understood for smooth transition and management. Having created a plan, you and your relatives can feel more secure that, even in the face of major family or world changes, your position on important wealth transfer matters will be respected when you are no longer available to supervise the process.
Deloitte’s Private Company Services group can serve as objective advisors during the estate planning process, applying knowledge, skills, and other resources from Deloitte to help you pursue a plan for lifetime gifting or asset transfer at death. In addition, our professionals can assist estate fiduciaries with decisions regarding tax elections, asset valuation, characterization of property, and other planning opportunities that can have tax implications for your estate and heirs. Our goal is to help you, and ultimately the estate fiduciaries, construct and implement a wealth transfer plan that preserves assets, manages tax risks, considers regulatory and tax changes, and reflects your goals.
Our planning support focuses on quality and value, including advice for circumstances today and in the future, such as:
- Advising on the creation and structure of trusts, partnerships, and other planning vehicles.
- Designing gifting programs for heirs or chosen causes.
- Assessing charitable planning vehicles.
- Planning for cross-border interests and assets.
- Coordinating with other services and qualified providers that may be essential to wealth transfer or estate disposition.
- Assisting with asset allocation and investment strategies for fiduciaries of wealth entities.
- Preparing estate, gift, trust, and generation-skipping tax returns (federal estate, state inheritance, gift tax, foundation, and trust income).
- Arranging post-mortem planning and administrative services to support income and estate tax efficiency.
- Planning for beneficial timing of payments to heirs and taxing jurisdictions.
- Providing tax advice regarding re-titling of property.
- Managing estate tax examination and controversy services.
We begin with an assessment that helps you define your objectives based on your philosophy and values, timing, family circumstances, and long- and short-term goals. We will analyze certain documents, such as wills and trust instruments, to explore potential tax gaps between your intentions and your existing plans. Once we understand your objectives, we will develop recommendations for you to consider.
Our goal is to provide you with the tools and knowledge to help you make informed decisions for the future. Once you have made your decisions, we will help you with implementation, including coordination with other advisors to help you clearly and accurately draft documents. Finally, we can continually monitor the plan so that you can account for changing circumstances in the larger environment.
Through Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu (DTT), we can provide you with access to international resources at DTT member firms to help with income tax, residency, and cross-border tax issues.
The Deloitte difference
The professionals in our Private Company Services group have experience with the many complex issues related to estate gift, trust, and charitable planning, and we can tailor our services to your specific circumstances. We offer:
- A lead advisor who has experience working with wealthy families who have complex tax and wealth planning needs.
- Collaboration among our Deloitte affiliated U.S. firms provides for ready access to additional valuable resources, which can provide information or assistance relevant to your circumstances.
- Services including family wealth planning and individual income tax planning and compliance.
- Access to the broader resources of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu member firms for additional business needs that may arise.
Our ultimate goal is to develop a deep and lasting relationship with you. Our reputation for quality services is built on long-term mutual respect and trust. We look forward to helping you address your goals in this important planning area.
About Deloitte Private Company Services
Private Company Services is dedicated to providing detailed and objective tax and wealth planning advice and services to private companies and their owners, and affluent individuals and families.
Part of our Business Tax Services practice, Private Company Services coordinates global tax services being provided by member firms of Deloitte Tohmatsu Limited (DTTL) that are dedicated to addressing the range of challenges that affect the success of the business, and influence the professional and personal goals of a business owner and individuals and families with significant assets. Our goal is to work with you to plan and execute effective business and tax planning, responding appropriately to new legislation and evolving market conditions. As your trusted advisor, we understand that integrated tax planning is critical and offer a range of services including entity income tax planning and compliance services, individual tax and wealth planning matters, international tax, and family office services.
We also draw on the extensive resources of the Deloitte U.S. firms through Deloitte Growth Enterprise Services. Our team of Deloitte Growth Enterprise Services professionals delivers a distinctive client experience through service offerings tailored to address the unique needs of mid-market and privately held companies. The depth and breadth of Deloitte Growth Enterprise Services crosses Deloitte Tax, Audit and Enterprise Risk Services, Consulting, and Financial Advisory Services to address your evolving and complex needs.
To find a member of the Private Company Services group who specializes in your area of interest, please contact us at PrivateCompanyServices@deloitte.com. Learn more about our Private Company Services practice by visiting our website at www.deloitte.com/us/privatecompanyservices and learn about Deloitte Growth Enterprise Services at www.deloitte.com/us/DGES.
Download the PDF version attached for more details.