Testing Advisory and Delivery Services
Finding a framework you can trust
While it may not have seemed like a picnic at the time, the job of testing and quality assurance was a lot easier a few years ago than it is now. One piece of software, created by one team, for one purpose. That is a far cry from today’s practices.
At Deloitte, we offer experience at both ends of the testing continuum. For organizations that are looking to build leading testing processes and capabilities, our Testing Advisory knowledge, skills and experience can help. If you already have a solid testing framework in place and need a vendor to help execute, our Testing Delivery capability is widely recognized as a global leader. Learn more about the offering.
Meet our people
- Al Kagan, Principal, Deloitte Consulting LLP
- Application Performance Engineering and Testing Services
- Requirements Engineering Services
- Systems Development Lifecycle Planning and Estimation
Learn more about the offering
Today, composite testing solutions operate as part of a wide network of technologies, spanning different enterprises and contributing to a broad range of organizational goals. These solutions are created by virtual teams spread all over the world, comprising a mix of internal and external resources. And they are increasingly hosted outside the confines of your own data center. For your testing efforts to be effective, you have to be able to represent the interests of a growing number of stakeholders, technologies and goals.
What to look for
With so many variables affecting software development today, it is more important than ever to have a flexible framework in place – one that offers both the ability to address unpredictable testing scenarios in the future and the rigor to deliver a consistently high level of quality under a wide array of circumstances.
How we can help
At Deloitte, we offer experience at both ends of the testing continuum. For organizations that are looking to build leading testing processes and capabilities, our Testing Advisory knowledge, skills and experience can help. If you already have a solid testing framework in place and need a vendor to help execute, our Testing Delivery capability is widely recognized as a global leader.
Whether you need help at the advisory or delivery level, expect to benefit from our deep understanding of the underlying business issues that drive your testing needs. Just as importantly, we have alliances with many of the leading testing tool vendors and can make objective recommendations based on our experience working with them.
Here are the solutions we offer:
- Define and establish Testing Centers of Excellence
- Develop large-scale business transformation program test strategies and plans
- Assess and provide a baseline of testing capabilities, leveraging leading practices, methodologies and standards
- Define improvement objectives and organizational change management
- Define test estimation frameworks
- Define risk-based testing models and approaches to maximize value of scarce client resources
- Define capabilities and recommended solutions to address challenges in automation, tools configuration and management, test data management, requirements traceability, environment and configuration management, build and release management, etc.
- Recommend, select and/or manage third-party suppliers of testing services and vendors of testing tools
- Determine how to appropriately track and measure an organization’s testing quality and processes
- Help organizations address or incorporate emerging topics such as services testing and agile testing
- Develop functional and nonfunctional test plans, test scenarios and test cases
- Manage functional and nonfunctional test execution across all testing phases including system, integration, regression, operational, deployment and user acceptance testing
- Define and execute end-to-end performance testing and platform optimization
- Manage requirements traceability throughout the test cycle
- Manage defect resolution
- Analyze and benchmark test results
- Test custom-developed and packaged applications
- Automate testing
- Configure and manage testing tools
- Manage test data, environment, build and release
- Manage test processes
- Manage third-party vendors
- Reduce testing costs
- Improve time to market
- Increase quality while lowering operating costs of applications
- Reduce risks of IT delivery failures, compliance-related issues and fragmented business processes
- Establish a sustainable, long-term operational model with a more mature set of enterprise service delivery capabilities
- Reduce post-production issues and operational disruptions
Four ways to get more value now
Deloitte has helped hundreds of companies in their efforts to improve their testing and quality assurance efforts. Here are some of the things we have learned along the way:
Think beyond the testing group. Quality is built in, not tested in. That is why it is important to bring everyone together to improve testing efficiency. Software architects. Application development teams. Release management. And, of course, the testing group. Make sure everyone’s role in testing is clear and move ahead with purpose.
Pilot first. Take the time to arrive at something you think will work for your organization - then pilot it, refine it and roll it out more broadly. When it comes to testing, do not underestimate the organizational impacts of change. Large-scale rollouts of new testing approaches often hit roadblocks that could have been prevented with a pilot program.
Make it measurable. You do not know where you are going if you do not know where you came from. Set baseline metrics that you can measure against as you go.
Reuse and repurpose. With a growing number of smaller, more focused testing projects, it is easy for companies to get lost in the details, overlooking opportunities to apply the same tools and processes to testing initiatives that may seem completely unrelated. Do not reinvent the wheel with every new project.
Testing Advisory and Delivery Services in action
- When a large financial services organization kicked off a $500 million project to deploy several credit card processing applications, as well as develop custom real-time and batch interfaces in conjunction with new and existing COTS applications, we advised the company to build everything on a sturdy foundation of best-in-class processes and methodologies. We created a Testing Competency Center to help guide their efforts well into the future.
- Seeking to build and execute sustainable testing processes, including improving their organization’s management capabilities, a large retail organization enlisted Deloitte’s help from strategy to delivery. We implemented structured testing processes and issue resolution practices to help manage their testing efforts and provided an industry-standard training approach to help the company achieve readiness in time for the holiday selling season.
As used in this document, “Deloitte” means Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Please see www.deloitte.com/us/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting.