Requirements Engineering Services
Get it right from the start
Packing for a big trip is as much art as science. Do it right, and you’re free to enjoy your travels in comfort without having to make pit stops at the local pharmacy or clothing store to pick up things you should have packed. It’s also more economical – no duplicate purchases of things you already own or could have purchased less expensively close to home.
Effective requirements engineering is as much a business issue as a technology issue. That’s why our approach combines equal parts business insight and technology know-how. We have created a methodology that provides the structure that is often lacking in requirements engineering initiatives, along with the flexibility to apply a wide range of tools and templates tailored to the particular demands of each project. The result? An efficient approach to requirements engineering that can help your development project get off to a good start – faster. Learn more about the offering.
Meet our people
- Geoffrey Cardinali, Director, Deloitte Consulting LLP
Learn more about the offering
In some ways, requirements engineering is like packing for a big trip. When organizations don’t get their requirements right, it can end up costing them big in the end. Even worse, project failure becomes more likely without the right requirements in place. For some companies, market share is at stake. While the importance of requirements engineering is widely known, for many it is a lost art.
Practice makes perfect
Requirements engineering isn’t a one-size-fits-all exercise, although many organizations still practice it that way. Project scale, application complexity, strategic goals, industry requirements - these are just a few of the factors that can influence your approach to requirements engineering. The key is to diagnose the complexities as early as possible and move quickly to determine your approach. Experience helps – the more of these projects you’ve seen, the easier it can be to establish the right approach quickly, drawing from a well of tested methods and techniques. That’s where we can help.
How we can help
Effective requirements engineering is as much a business issue as a technology issue. That’s why our approach combines equal parts business insight and technology know-how. We have created a methodology that provides the structure that is often lacking in requirements engineering initiatives, along with the flexibility to apply a wide range of tools and templates tailored to the particular demands of each project. The result? An efficient approach to requirements engineering that can help your development project get off to a good start - faster.
Here are some of the services we offer:
- Requirements planning
- Help establish a cost baseline for planning and estimating requirements needs
- Establish repeatable processes and central document, resource and tool repositories
- Assess requirements practices and baseline capabilities within the organization
- Create a flexible framework and implement a tool set to manage project interrelationships and interdependencies
- Requirements elicitation
- Apply an in-depth understanding of the client’s industry and service area, creating contextual and scenario-driven requirements
- Lead functional and non-functional requirements elicitation sessions through standard methods
- Document requirements and interdependencies, and develop traceability utilizing a standard tool set
- Requirements management
- Establish requirements traceability throughout the development process
- Translate high-level business requirements into functional and system requirements
- Establish repeatable processes for managing requirements issues and risks that can be reused throughout the business and IT organization
In addition to providing these services, we can also help clients establish their own requirements engineering capabilities based on our tested approach.
- Develop higher-quality applications, with faster time to deliver and lower development costs
- Cultivate requirements engineering as a sustainable core competency within the organization
- Apply a structured, context-aware requirements framework for planning, elicitation and management
- Accelerate the process with standard templates, toolsets and methodologies
- Create a governance structure and traceability framework to establish requirements ownership
- Establish clear standards for stakeholder communications
- Deliver solutions that meet business expectations across the development lifecycle, from defining business needs to deploying the solution
Four ways to get more value now
We’ve helped some of the leading companies in the world get more value from their requirements engineering efforts. Here are a few things we’ve learned along the way:
Don’t reinvent the wheel. Requirements engineering is a discipline that comes with a host of standard tools and templates. Use them to save valuable time and resources.
Repeat. Repeat. Identify standard, repeatable processes for soliciting and documenting requirements.
Don’t be afraid to reassess. Even during the course of requirements gathering, things can change. Be flexible enough to roll with the changes, and make sure to build in a series of checkpoints to reassess requirements during the course of the project.
Know when you’re done. In requirements engineering, an inability to know when to stop is a common problem. Here’s a simple rule: if you’re focused on the “how” rather than the “what,” it’s time to stop and take stock. By clearly articulating your approach and deliverables in the plan requirements phase, you can help avoid this problem.
Requirements Engineering Services in action
- When a global auto manufacturer embarked on a plan to launch telematic services for its luxury car collection, we helped develop the business requirements and use case. Our efforts included operations and field trials, user acceptance test planning and execution, program management, governance, marketing communications and training readiness. As a result, the company was able to launch a product that effectively reflected the desired customer experience and business processes.
- We helped a U.S.-based prepaid wireless organization with a major launch of a new suite of service plans by planning around business and vendor delivery lifecycles before taking the step of defining requirements. Specific components of our work with this client included: program management, product strategy, functional and systems requirements development, business process and use case development, product and user acceptance test strategy, plan and execution management and organizational readiness. As a result, the company was able to move in sync with key vendors to deliver the services as planned.
- A leading national health plan needed help developing its own in-house capabilities for requirements engineering. We helped develop a standard requirements approach, installed and configured a standard toolset, and developed a highly effective governance model to manage and train client resources regarding effective requirements management. From there, we piloted the requirements management process and toolset, delivering requirements gathering phases for a range of the company’s most important IT projects.
As used in this document, “Deloitte” means Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Please see www.deloitte.com/us/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting.