On equal footing
There are few things more frustrating to workers than the difference between the technology they use as consumers, and what is approved for use in the business environment. CIOs feel that pain too, but they also know what can happen when organizations dive into a new technology without enough planning. Unintended side effects can quickly ambush whatever business goals you had in mind, inhibit progress of critical IT initiatives and delay business benefits.
There are many different reasons organizations want to improve their use of mobile technologies. Whether extending the reach of legacy applications, engaging the continuously connected customer or creating a more agile business, Deloitte can help. We bring business needs into focus, provide insightful market research and unparalleled technology advice. We help you define a clear mobility strategy, develop the supporting business case and prioritize initiatives based on ROI. We provide full delivery support for mobility projects including technology selection, architecture, software development, integration, implementation and operational support. This isn’t just a technology exercise – it’s a business imperative. And it takes a team that knows the ins and outs of your industry to bring a world-class mobility strategy to life. Learn more about the offering.
Tech Trends 2013: Mobile only (and beyond)
Explore how mobile is reshaping business as usual.
Rising tide: Exploring pathways to growth in the mobile semiconductor industry
Multiple drivers of growth are converging on the mobile semiconductor industry. To compete in the mobile 4G era, it will be important for companies to transition from traditional, closed business models to a more open, collaborative approach, using open innovation and platform leadership strategies to gain ground in emerging mobile growth markets.
Digital marketing and the mind of the CMO
As adoption of digital media and devices surges, companies are investing billions of dollars in digital marketing. The rising importance of digital media, marketing, and commerce is elevating the importance of the chief marketing officer (CMO) as strategist, innovator, and buyer of advisory services and technology.
Perspectives on technology: Mobility and the cloud in the mid-market
How are mid-market companies leveraging new technology solutions to fuel their growth? Read what executives had to say in our recent survey.
The mobile revolution: Is your IT department up to the challenge?
Explore the debate.
Beyond mobile: The revolution lives on
Watch the Dbriefs webcast replay.
The mobile chasm: A growing gap between the status quo of today and the potential of tomorrow
Read the Deloitte Review article.
Meet our people
- Cloud Services
- Enterprise Architecture
- IT Service Management
- IT Strategy and Effectiveness
- Package Selection and Application Strategy
- Technology Program Management
- Web Solutions
Learn more about the offering
Existing mobility technologies present big opportunities for internal and market facing business innovation, which means they cannot be ignored or left on the back burner. How can technology leaders capitalize on mobility strategies to leverage the latest developments in consumer technology so that the business can reap the benefits while avoiding the pitfalls?
The business imperative
As technology leaders already know, mobile technologies have advanced to the point where organizations can finally take advantage of everything mobility has to offer. Application enhancements extend the desktop to handheld devices and deliver more powerful tools to employees, increasing productivity and improving bottom line performance. Combining advanced mobile applications and technologies while leveraging existing infrastructure creates a new opportunity to expand an organization’s reach – and often creates a daunting challenge. Enabling mobile environments is a balance of technology, risk, and return on investment (ROI), all of which are driven by business needs.
How we can help
There are many reasons why organizations want to improve their use of mobile technologies. Whether extending the reach of legacy applications, engaging the continuously connected customer, or creating a more agile business, Deloitte can help. We bring business needs into focus, provide insightful market research and unparalleled technology advice. We help you define a clear mobility strategy, develop the supporting business case and prioritize initiatives based on ROI. We provide full delivery support for mobility projects including technology selection, architecture, software development, integration, implementation and operational support. This isn’t just a technology exercise – it’s a business imperative. And it takes a team that knows the ins and outs of your industry to bring a world-class mobility strategy to life.
- Create a solid foundation for innovation
- Extend applications to mobile users while leveraging existing IT infrastructure
- Enhance operations by allowing users to tap business information at any time and from any place
- Receive instant alerts from asset and equipment monitoring sensors and take immediate action, regardless of its location
- Gain brand loyalty as customers broaden their usage of mobile devices
- Increase brand awareness through mobility-focused campaigns
- Penetrate new markets and channels
Six ways to get more value now
Here are some of the things we have learned in helping leading companies around the world create innovative mobility strategies:
Think big. Ask employees and customers what they would really like to have at their fingertips when roaming. Mobile sales, medical data capture, mobile customer service and real-time asset location tracking are examples of high-value mobile applications.
Bring mobility to the front burner. When rolling out new applications or upgrading legacy applications, incorporate mobility technology into your solution. Ensure high value data, capabilities and transactions are available to mobile users.
Embrace device diversity. Applications should detect the user interface type when processing transactions, and provide a tailored response based on the type of mobile device being used to access the application.
Set up a mobility ‘SWAT’ team. Stand up a development team to start prototyping Android, iPhone / iPad, and Windows Mobile applications. This will provide immediate, hands-on experience with leading-edge development tools.
Plug into the mobility ecosystem. Mobile application stores like Apple iTunes will continue to grow while others emerge. Start planning how you can leverage this ecosystem to reach your customers.
Make assets intelligent. As wireless sensors, M2M, GPS, RFID and other technologies for automated asset intelligence become ubiquitous, develop a plan for how these new sources of business intelligence can be leveraged by your mobile employees and customers.
Mobility Enablement in action
- Financial Services – Deloitte developed a mobile merchant solution for a large bank that allows credit card merchants to process and verify credit card payments from anywhere. This solution provides very strong security to protect confidential payment information.
- Pharmaceutical Sales – Deloitte developed a tablet application for the sales team of a major pharmaceutical firm to capture and upload sales visit information, show promotional videos and provide access to detailed product information and study results.
- Food Service Delivery – Deloitte developed a mobility solution for a major food distributor that records and optimizes delivery routes, provides wireless payment processing at time of delivery, and allows customer order updates to be pushed from their enterprise application to the vehicle while the driver is en route.
- Security Incident Management – Deloitte developed a mobility solution that allows building security personnel and other first responders to view and log location and details of security incidents (e.g. unauthorized intruders, accidents.). The solution integrates GPS-based mapping, campus and building floor plans, captures data, pictures and video taken at the scene, and synchronizes incident data with a central event tracking database.
- Business Continuity – Deloitte developed a mobile solution for disaster recovery to notify authorities and team members, account for all personnel, distribute status information, and provide employee-specific action plans. The solution greatly accelerates the process of organizing people and resources and greatly reduces business downtime.
As used in this document, “Deloitte” means Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Please see www.deloitte.com/us/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting.