High Stakes M&A
Seven bets that matter
A successful merger and acquisition (M&A) deal is the one that can open doors of opportunities in new markets, fill talent gaps, improve operational performance and grow shareholder value. For many organizations the M&A deal can be the most significant event in their history. And, for many leaders an M&A transaction may be the biggest opportunity of their career.
One critical factor that makes any deal go beyond stakeholder expectations is the management ability to lead the deal successfully through the transformation. That requires making effective bets each step of the way.
“This deal could be the most significant event in your company’s history— and potentially, the biggest opportunity of your career.”
Deloitte Consulting LLP’s latest paper, High stakes M&A: Seven bets that matter, discusses the below seven areas that professionals should focus upon for an effective M&A:
- Focus on five critical activities that senior leaders can use to demonstrate leadership, create enthusiasm and build momentum.
- Identify three challenges that should be presented to the leadership team for delivering full potential value of a transaction.
- Identify people to attend a leadership summit, outline an agenda that can engage them in creating the vision of the future organization and set a date.
- Develop the hypothesis for the combined organization’s operating strategy that will be presented to the leadership team.
- Develop a common message for everyone to hear while simultaneously customizing this message to present the opportunities available for each major audience.
- Select a leader to own the plan for identifying and engaging critical talent-related capabilities.
- Identify the three things that the leadership team should be asked to do differently to demonstrate the desired the culture
Download the report to understand how successfully delivering on an M&A deal requires leaders to demonstrate skills that go far beyond those needed for business as usual.