HR Transformation - SAP
Way beyond HR data and payroll
Does HR transformation begin when a company adopts HR-focused technology? Or when it goes through a more fundamental change, such as a merger or acquisition? Because talent is one of the most rapidly evolving dynamics at work in any business today, the fact is that HR transformation is underway all the time, whether the organization is actively managing it or not. Yet many HR organizations struggle to justify formal HR transformation initiatives. They’re often deemed too complex and ill-defined to take on in the face of more pressing issues and it can be hard to make a clear case for return on investment in human capital. The truth is that today, technology-enabled HR transformation deserves a place among the most important business initiatives a company can take on. As a result, many companies are turning to sophisticated, scalable Human Capital Management (HCM) solutions such as SAP HCM.
Simply put, HR transformation is a business issue. Deloitte’s SAP HCM practice brings industry-level insights to transformation initiatives, as well as approaches and templates developed through years of hands-on experience at many levels. When it’s time to bring technology into the fold, we are skilled at applying SAP’s leading human capital solutions in the service of the overall transformation strategy. In fact, we have created several preconfigured solutions (such as SAP HR FastForward) that are widely considered to be the industry standard among HR transformation tools. HR FastForward is integrated with Deloitte IndustryPrint™, Deloitte's proprietary business process toolset, which is built from the knowledge and insight of hundreds of client engagements to provide you with a future state HR business process baseline based on leading HR practices. Learn more about the offering.
Tech Trends 2013: Reinventing the ERP engine
Discover how new ERP engines can help innovate your business model.
Analyst firm names Deloitte a leader in SAP implementation services in North America
Read the press release.
Global business driven HR Transformation: The journey continues
18 key business drivers transforming HR in a changing world.
Global business driven HR Transformation: The journey continues in financial services
Learn more about Deloitte's global HR FSI benchmark study.
Realizing value through an ERP center of excellence
Learn more about establishing an effective COE.
Human Resources Enterprise Resource Planning: Fast forward your benefits
HR ERP techniques shared by Paul Khanna and Kristof Huyghebaert.
D-sHaRp: Notes from Deloitte's SAP Human Capital Management Practice
Foreword by Paul Khanna, Principal, Deloitte Consulting.
Meet our people
- Paul Khanna, Principal, Deloitte Consulting LLP
- CRM Transformation – SAP
- Finance Transformation – SAP
- HR Operating Model and Function Design
- HR Transformation Strategy and Planning
- Package Selection and Application Strategy
- Supply Chain Transformation – SAP
- Talent Operations and Technology
- Technology Adoption
Learn more about the offering
From transactional data, new insights
Many HR transformation initiatives struggle to gain traction because they focus on lower profile tasks such as payroll and benefits. Of course, that’s only a fraction of the picture – but these are some of the most widely recognized functions of HR. And business leaders may have a hard time justifying the time and expense of HR transformation if they feel all they have to show for it is an improved payroll system.
However, HR leaders are also using that transactional data to generate surprising insights into current and desired talent. But it’s more than just HR and payroll data. HR and Business leaders are rethinking how best to implement and show value from their HR transformation initiatives. And broad HR technology solutions like SAP HCM can provide business leaders the tools and information they need to manage the workforce strategically and globally. We believe that’s the mark of a world-class HR transformation – one that can deliver a lot more than improved benefits management. A transformation that can help the organization actively shape its talent strategy for years to come.
How we can help
Simply put, HR transformation is a business issue. Deloitte’s SAP HCM practice brings industry-level insights to transformation initiatives, as well as approaches and templates developed through years of hands-on experience at many levels. When it’s time to bring technology into the fold, we are skilled at applying SAP’s leading human capital solutions in the service of the overall transformation strategy. In fact, we have created several preconfigured solutions that are widely considered to be the industry standard among HR transformation tools. HR FastForward is integrated with Deloitte IndustryPrint™, Deloitte's proprietary business process toolset, which is built from the knowledge and insight of hundreds of client engagements to provide you with a future state HR business process baseline based on leading HR practices.
Some of the services we offer include:
- Business case definition and global leadership alignment
- HR service delivery model framework
- Global process definition via pre-configured SAP HCM solution, HR FastForward and Deloitte’s proprietary Industry Print™
- Change management and communication
- Project governance
- Implementation with SAP HCM proprietary tools
Additionally, our enterprise resource planning (ERP) implementation methodology, called Deloitte’s Enterprise Value Delivery (EVD) Methodology, is a 360-degree view of the broad array of activities that should be considered in planning and executing an implementation. While the specific activities are tailored based on client and project needs, the methodology provides a broad framework for the diverse multitude of factors that may need to be addressed during the course of an implementation life cycle.
Deloitte has one of the largest SAP practices in the world, with access to a network of more than 7,700 dedicated SAP professionals globally. Deloitte holds the high-quality level of strategic alliance with SAP Global Partner - Services, an alliance that dates back to 1991 and is held by a select handful of organizations. We leverage this relationship to help our clients draw on the knowledge and experience of both of our organizations when needed. Our size, experience, and demonstrated track record, as recognized by our clients and the analyst community, demonstrate Deloitte’s ability to meet the needs of a broad range of clients.
Deloitte is also a leader in SAP HCM. Our HCM credentials include:
- More than 300 experienced SAP HCM consultants in our practice, including 140 in North America.
- More than 150 SAP HCM clients worldwide
- SAP preferred vendor in its five strategic areas: HCM, customer relationship management, supply-chain management, ERP and SAP technologies (NetWeaver).
- Our SAP practitioners have been ranked number one in product knowledge by third-party evaluators
- Full suite of SAP HCM specific implementation tools – for faster deployment and lower-risk projects
- Active board member of the SAP HCM Users Group (SAPPHIRE)
- Dedicated offshore capabilities based on client and project needs
Deloitte also works with SAP product development for beta testing of new releases – facilitating broad exposure to the new software prior to release, so our practitioners can facilitate designs and methodologies compatible with future capabilities.
Deloitte is a leader in Human Capital Consulting and facilitating HR Transformation
More than a pure technology organization, Deloitte is a leader and recognized innovator in the field of Human Resources, and our Human Capital practice has been recognized by industry analysts as one of the largest HR consultancies globally. Combined with our deep HCM technology experience, we are particularly qualified to understand both the “business” of HR and the operational infrastructure required to support the goals of the client.
Our practitioners have deep SAP HCM knowledge. And through our significant project experiences, we bring extensive lessons learned, recommended leading practices and tools and methods that can accelerate project activities. We work closely with the SAP organization on an ongoing basis and are prepared to leverage these working relationships as needed to meet the client’s needs.
We have a virtually unparalleled ability to provide organizations with the broad perspective to appropriately plan for these activities, while also providing fast and ready access to specialists as needed to meet project requirements.
Our services are designed to help our clients achieve real and measurable results. We help transform our clients’ businesses, generating benefits such as:
- Achieve a faster return on your investment and show value quicker both in transactional and strategic areas
- A platform to support continuous change and grow without costly customizations – helping to achieve the value organizations seek
- A design that encompasses people, processes and technology in an end-to-end foundational approach
- Leveraging standard SAP HCM functionality to deliver tailored solutions to clients’ specific business requirements
- A new Service Delivery Model that caters to the employee experience while improving HR operations and capabilities
Four ways to get more value now
We’ve helped HR organizations at some of the leading companies in the world deliver more value from their HR transformation initiatives. Here are a few things we’ve learned along the way:
Plan for the business of the future. How will your workforce needs change in the coming years? What types of people will you need, when will you need them and where will they come from? How will you measure progress along the way? Make sure the needs of the business –today and tomorrow– are driving your agenda.
Think outside of HR. Your transformation strategy will have roots not just in HR, but also in other parts of the business such as finance and management. That means you need to take an end-to-end view of your transformation model, allowing for inputs from other parts of the business.
Focus on catalysts. Some ideas and projects have a special capacity to accelerate performance – so they deserve special attention. As a result, you can show early results from the transformation to generate the internal support you’ll need to keep the momentum going.
Stay on target. Scope creep is a danger in any broad change project. You can combat it by setting up a change control process that bases approval of each change on a full understanding of its impact and its place in the overall strategy.
HR Transformation in action
- After being spun off from its parent company, a large multinational chemical company had nine months to establish its own HR infrastructure to support 13,000 employees worldwide. The new solution had to scale with the company’s longer-term roadmap. We helped the company develop a ground-up implementation plan for an SAP HCM solution that met those requirements. Not only did this client achieve measurable business value in the form of infrastructure cost reduction, headcount realignment and cost avoidance opportunities, it also benefited from a new service delivery model that is expected to give it a significant competitive advantage at a key moment in the company’s evolution.
As used in this document, “Deloitte” means Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Please see www.deloitte.com/us/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting.