CMO Council 2011 State of Marketing: Outlook, Intentions and Investments
More than 750 senior marketing executives from around the world participated in this year’s Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) Council Marketing Outlook survey. The 2011 report, sponsored jointly by Deloitte Consulting LLP and Openet, examines essential areas of interest including:
- Top accomplishments in the preceding year and management mandates for the year ahead
- How current economic conditions and business factors and forces are impacting plans and budgets
- Areas of expenditure and shifts in where and how marketing dollars are being allocated
- Strategic initiatives and investments to increase marketing efficiency, proficiency and effectiveness
- Evaluation and integration of digital marketing systems, programs and alternative media channels
According to Outlook 2011, marketers are contending with several strategic and tactical challenges resulting from economic recovery, new analytics technologies and the surpassing of traditional media by social media. Meanwhile, leadership in top line growth and improving market share are important management mandates. Specific/Identified levers in achieving success: investing more heavily in new media and technology based tools, improving customer segmentation and targeting and better lead conversion.
The study also reveals that innovative companies and agencies are using customer data for far more than marketing decisions. According to the survey:
- 75 percent of the executives indicated that they use page views, click-thrus and registrations to track the effectiveness of their online marketing and advertising
- 34 percent responded that they intend to automate social media monitoring and data mining in 2011
- 23 percent plan to invest more in web analytics
To learn more about the third annual 2011 Marketing Outlook Survey, please download the executive summary below. View Deloitte's perspective on the survey results. The full report, including detailed findings of the survey, is available through the CMO Council.