Software Asset Management (SAM)
Software licenses and maintenance costs represent a significant portion of an organization’s Information Technology (IT) budget. Without managing your costs and software usage, you could be putting yourself at risk of:
- Unplanned payments to software vendors for non-compliance, particularly as vendors increasingly rely on audits to meet revenue goals
- Over-subscription—paying for more software licenses than you need, especially as your organization and environment change
- Security threats, due to the use of unauthorized software or the inability to manage your IT assets
A software asset management (SAM) program can help you reduce these risks, while also optimizing the full lifecycle of your organization’s software assets.
Challenges and benefits
Managing software assets can be a daunting challenge. The technologies involved are complex and constantly changing. Multiple stakeholders are involved in the purchase, installation, deployment, maintenance, utilization and disposal of software. And license agreements are increasingly complicated and multi-layered.
Many organizations may lack the skills, resources and budget to implement a complex SAM program. Seeking a simple fix, some companies often rely solely on a SAM tool. But technology solutions alone are incomplete, falling short of sustainable management and leaving the organization open to operational, financial and security risks.
An ongoing SAM program can help:
- Realize cost savings (which can be re-invested to make a SAM program self-funding)
- Improve your budgeting process and financial controls
- Increase operational efficiency
- Gain and maintain long-term control over software assets
The Deloitte approach
Deloitte knows the ins and outs of SAM. We helped write the SAM standards, developed a distinct methodology and approach, and perform hundreds of license baseline reviews per year. We have also implemented SAM programs for numerous end-user organizations around the world. As a neutral third party, we provide a truly objective perspective on monitoring and governing software assets.
Our skilled practitioners can assist you in managing the multi-layered complexity of SAM programs, from focused diagnostics and vendor baselines to full SAM implementations. We offer a distinct approach that encompasses not just tools, but also people and processes—helping you put the right skill sets, accountability and governance in place to effectively manage your software assets throughout the entire lifecycle.
For more information, please contact our SAM team.
As used in this document, “Deloitte” means Deloitte & Touche LLP, a subsidiary of Deloitte LLP. Please see www.deloitte.com/us/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting.