IBM License Metric Tool (ILMT) Readiness Services
Is your organization running IBM software on virtual servers? Deploying IBM License Metric Tool (ILMT) is an IBM requirement to obtain sub-capacity pricing — without it, you might be paying for more capacity than you need.
ILMT is a no-charge software tool designed to report on processor value unit (PVU) license consumption for IBM software running in virtualized environments. With proper configuration, ILMT helps organizations achieve the following:
- Maintain compliance with IBM sub-capacity and PVU licensing terms
- Track IBM PVU-based software inventory
- Support distributed server virtualization
In addition to enabling lower software licensing costs, ILMT can result in a significant improvement to your organization’s overall Software Asset Management (SAM) strategy.
Installing ILMT is only half the effort. ILMT requires significant manual configuration and validation in order to align reports to the true configuration of the environment. There are several key challenges to consider in the configuration process:
- Excluding software that’s been purchased as part of a bundle or under a non-PVU licensing metric
- Deploying agents on the relevant servers in the environment
- Analyzing PVU calculations in complex virtualized environments
- Accounting for software that does not require a license based on its specific license definitions and its usage within the environment
The Deloitte ILMT readiness approach
Deloitte’s ILMT readiness services help organizations realize sub-capacity licensing benefits and maximize ILMT value through five key areas:
- Installation and configuration – Install and configure the ILMT server and its agents in the environment
- Data capture and reporting – Analyze and classify identified hardware and software information to improve reporting accuracy and completeness
- Product status validation – Identify idle or misconfigured software that can be adjusted to potentially reduce licensing requirements
- Baseline reconciliation – Reconcile IBM software deployed to IBM license entitlements to identify potential license exposure or shelfware where the organization could redeploy licenses to reduce software cost
- Sustainable ILMT management – Assist organizations in development and implementation processes and procedures to maintain the tool and employ strategies to improve license consumption as the IT environment evolves over time
The Deloitte difference
We have deep experience in advising organizations on ILMT readiness across the globe. Deloitte’s strong and successful track record is based on:
- Technical skills and experience working directly with ILMT and its bundle of features
- In-depth knowledge of IBM software licensing terms and conditions and how these terms relate to sub-capacity pricing
- Global IBM system integrator
- Experience across a range of industries and companies, allowing us to bring you the latest insights from enterprises with similar IT environments and software management approaches
For more information, please contact our ILMT readiness services team.
As used in this document, “Deloitte” means Deloitte & Touche LLP, a subsidiary of Deloitte LLP. Please see www.deloitte.com/us/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting.