Download report | Download infographic | Explore survey results | Take the quiz
Business executives around the world say their understanding of the universe of strategic risk is changing. Our survey of 300 major companies reveals how.
- Strategic risk is an area of major focus: 81% of surveyed companies now have an explicit focus on managing strategic risks.
- Reputation is cited as the #1 risk – not just overall, but for most individual industry sectors.
- Strategic risk management is a CEO and board-level priority. Two thirds (67%) of the surveyed companies say the CEO, board or board risk committee has oversight when it comes to managing strategic risk.
- Technology enablers and disrupters, such as social, mobile, and big data, could threaten established business models, and 91% of companies surveyed have changed their business strategies since those technologies began to emerge.
- Human capital and innovation pipeline are expected to be the top strategic assets that businesses will need to invest in.
About the survey
The findings in this report are based on a global survey conducted in the spring of 2013 by Forbes Insights, on behalf of Deloitte. It includes insights from more than 300 respondents from the Americas (33%), Europe/Middle East/Africa (33%), and Asia/Pacific (34%). Nearly all respondents were C-level executives (263), board members (22) or specialized risk executives (21). Surveyed companies came from all five major industry sectors (consumer/industrial products, life sciences/healthcare, technology/media/telecommunications, energy/resources and financial services), and all had annual revenues in excess of US$1 billion (or equivalent).