Finance Organization - CFO SignalsTM: 2012 Q4
Strategic roles and information needs drive new competency requirements
Top challenges: How are companies’ challenges affecting the focus of finance organizations?
Finance is again heavily focused on influencing and enabling business decisions, with a rising focus on financial reporting/controls and a declining focus on supporting M&A and business expansion.
Finance Organization Challenges
Percent of respondents who place each option in their top three
- Providing information and tools for business decisions has been the dominant finance focus for more than a year.
- Finance is spending a substantial (and growing) portion of time influencing business strategy and operational priorities.
- Finance is more focused on ensuring current initiatives deliver results than on selecting/aligning new initiatives, especially in Manufacturing, Technology, and Services.
- Compliance with financial reporting/controls requirements became a notably stronger focus this quarter.
- There is relatively little focus on cost and availability of capital.
Priorities for finance capability improvement: Which capabilities would CFOs most like to improve?
CFOs are mostly satisfied with their capabilities in longstanding core areas like corporate finance, treasury, and audit, but they want to improve in areas that support finance’s increasingly strategic role:
- Better strategic planning capabilities are important to all sectors except Healthcare/Pharma, and are particularly important in Manufacturing.
- Budgeting and financial planning capability improvement is a priority for all sectors, especially within Technology and Healthcare/Pharma.
- Improvements in IT/information management are a top priority for all sectors except Technology.
- Financial processes/controls improvement is a priority for all sectors except Energy/Resources.
Download the CFO SignalsTM Q4 2012 Finance Organization findings above.
CFO SignalsTM: 2012 Q4
For further information on the other areas of this quarter's CFO SignalsTM survey, please visit the CFO SignalsTM: 2012 Q4 main page.
Receive CFO center updates
As used in this document, 'Deloitte' means Deloitte LLP [and its subsidiaries]. Please see www.deloitte.com/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries.Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting.