Ten Ways to get More from Your Service Delivery Organization
Service Delivery Transformation
Think of all the money and effort your enterprise puts into business support services – finance, human resources (HR), information technology (IT), and the rest of the “supporting players” that underlie your organization’s core business activities. Now think of the value your business could gain if support service quality was consistently high, costs were consistently under control, and the whole thing ran so smoothly that everyone was consistently satisfied with the service they received.
Service delivery transformation is about making the journey to such a state. It’s about
- Creating a business services organization that’s precisely aligned to your enterprise’s needs, and keeping it that way through all the changes that an evolving strategy and shifting environment may bring
- Developing a multi-shore, multi-delivery, multi-solution service delivery platform that can help your business effectively pursue long-term value
- Putting together the leadership, strategy, and execution to consistently deliver high-quality, cost-effective, user-friendly service, freeing the rest of the enterprise to focus on core business activities
Few organizations, of course, have the luxury of creating an ideal service delivery model from scratch. Instead, companies need to build on the service delivery processes they already have,strengthening what works and transforming the rest in a process of continuous improvement. Sometimes, the transformation may be major: setting up a shared services organization (SSO), offshoring and/or outsourcing multiple functional processes, or implementing a new Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system. At other times, the changes can be more incremental as leaders make ongoing adjustments to service delivery strategy and operations, such as rationalizing vendors or moving to a shared model for skill-based activities such as real estate, knowledge management, or legal services.
But no matter how big or small, a change to a company’s service delivery approach can represent an opportunity for improvement. And the potential for improvement can arise in multiple areas – from obvious candidates such as sourcing strategy and technology to areas farther afield, such as tax and risk management.
Ten ways to get more from your service delivery organization
In our article, we offer a sampling of opportunities for enhancing the value of your service delivery model. Although the areas we highlight may seem disparate and far-flung, each area can be essential to helping a service delivery organization improve performance.
- Strategy: Get aligned
- Leadership and buy-in: Understanding your organization
- Sourcing: Keeping the mix current
- Shared services: Run it like a business
- Outsourcing: Managing relationships for competitive advantage
- Location: A question of talent
- Tax and service delivery: A layperson’s guide
- Technology: Fitting costs to value
- Risk management and governance: Keep yourself covered
- Contact center: Fast track to improvement
Our full article is available for you to download. We hope the ideas presented here are helpful to you in your organization’s service delivery transformation efforts.