Meet John Leonard
John Leonard is a Director in the Business Intelligence Services practice of Deloitte Financial Advisory Services LLP in New York. He has a broad range of industry expertise and more than 15 years of experience in conducting and managing international investigations. Mr. Leonard is a former consultant to U.S. companies establishing international distribution channels. He has extensive experience in Latin America, Europe and China, he has specialized technical knowledge for conducting international investigations and reviews of trade compliance and economic sanctions programs. Mr. Leonard speaks Spanish and Portuguese and has resided in Mexico and Spain.
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) investigations:
- Led forensic teams in an emerging market on a review of two resellers of an international information technology equipment manufacturer as part of a large FCPA investigation. Working with counsel, reviewed financial records and emails, coordinated background checks on vendors and agents, analyzed procurement methodologies, conducted on-site interviews and reported findings.
- On a major FCPA investigation based in Europe, coordinated the background investigation of emerging market government entities and officials involved in transactions with the Russian subsidiary of a large multi-national. Identified connections between government clients and recipients of payments in two emerging market countries. Specific transactions showing potential links between payees and government customers were graphically displayed using i2 software.
- Led a forensic team in an emerging market on a major FCPA investigation of the subsidiaries of a large international automotive components manufacturer. Coordinated detailed accounting analysis, examined financial records, reviewed anti-bribery controls, conducted on-site interviews and reported findings. Implemented a work plan for testing transactions using the FCPA Analytics tool. Analyzed the ownership structure of dozens of automotive industry customers.
- Conducted background checks on hundreds of customers, vendors and intermediaries worldwide for multiple FCPA investigations, FCPA compliance reviews and international acquisitions.
- Corporate Investigations:
- Conducted background checks, asset searches, fraud investigations and business intelligence gathering in numerous emerging markets for strategic and financial investors.
- Coordinated an investigation of whistleblower allegations of fraud at a foreign subsidiary of a technology company. Conducted on-site interviews, reviewed emails and performed background checks on entities and individuals.
- Conducted a fraud investigation on behalf of a foreign subsidiary of a chemical manufacturer for a proof of loss claim for a previous organization. Conducted interviews, investigated related individuals and entities, reviewed financial information and coordinated researchers in email review.
- Investigated fraud allegations at the U.S. subsidiary of a European energy company, identifying over $2 million in misappropriated funds.
- Designed and implemented a sting operation in an emerging market to gather evidence of employee wrong-doing with a previous organization. The effort resulted in admissible evidence which allowed the client to negotiate a favorable severance and avoid litigation.
- Anti-Money Laundering:
- Conducted a review of a major international bank’s Anti-Money Laundering (AML) policies and procedures for the following areas: Enhanced Due Diligence (EDD) on existing and prospective bank customers; Transaction analysis of activity for customers identified in subpoenas, adverse media and 314(a) and 314(b) requests; Screening of customer files for Politically Exposed Persons (PEPS) and Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC) exposure.
- Coordinated the quality review of hundreds of EDD and transaction analysis reports and the writing of Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs) based upon this research.
- Trade Compliance and Economic Sanctions:
- Conducted an assessment of export controls and compliance with United States economic sanctions at more than 100 subsidiaries of a major defense industry contractor including identifying historical transactions between the client and certain countries subject to U.S. embargo.
- Designed surveys for collecting data and participated in creating a risk matrix and ranking process for site review selection.
- Led forensic team for on-site reviews of subsidiaries in six counties, conducting management interviews, transaction testing and review of procedures.
- Prepared detailed report of findings including recommendations for improving client’s trade compliance regime.
- Thunderbird School of Global Management, Glendale AZ: MBA
- University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon: Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
As used in this document, “Deloitte” means Deloitte LLP [and its subsidiaries]. Please see www.deloitte.com/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting.