Meet Greg Forsythe
Director, Business Valuation, Deloitte Financial Advisory Services LLP; Center of Valuation Excellence Leader
Greg Forsythe, CFA, ASA, is a director at Deloitte Financial Advisory Services LLP and serves as the Center of Valuation Excellence leader. For this role, Greg oversees the group’s National Learning Initiative and leads the development of valuation technical standards and educational course content across the business and intangible asset, real estate, and machinery and equipment valuation disciplines.
Distinguished within the valuation profession, Greg holds a number of leadership positions, including:
- Chairman of the International Valuation Professional Board (IVPB) of the International Valuation Standards Council (IVSC). Previously, Greg held the role of Vice Chair. The IVSC is an independent, not-for-profit, private sector organization that works with organizations throughout the world to harmonize and promote agreement and understanding of valuation standards. As a member of the IVPB, Greg’s primary responsibilities are to help develop a set of international valuation best practices, and support the work of the IVSC through the promotion of education and training relative to International Valuation Standards.
- Member of the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB)’s Valuation Resource Group, which works to provide the FASB with input on potential clarifying guidance on issues relating to the application of ASC Topic 820, Fair Value Measurements and Disclosures (formerly SFAS 157). Greg has also participated in an International Accounting Standards Board (IASB) Working Group regarding fair value measurements.
- Member of the American Society of Appraiser’s Business Valuation Committee (ASA-BVC). The goal of the ASA-BVC is to help foster growth and further development of the business valuation profession worldwide through education and administrative aid, focusing on topics such as International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRSs).
- Member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)’s Business Valuation Standards Writing Task Force, contributing to the AICPA’s “Statement on Standards for Valuation Services No. 1” issued on June 21, 2007, and effective for engagements accepted on or after January 1, 2008.
- In January 2007, Greg was selected to participate in The Appraisal Foundation’s first Working Group on “Best Practices for Intangible Asset Valuations in Financial Reporting.” On May 31, 2010, the Appraisal Foundation finalized the Group’s Monograph and related Toolkit: “The Identification of Contributory Assets and Calculation of Economic Rents”.
- In addition to his leadership positions, Greg is frequently a source for top tier and trade media reporters. Greg has been quoted in CFO, The Deal, Compliance Week, Compliance Reporter, Accounting Today, Directorship, WebCPA.com, Corporate Finance Review, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, among other publications.
In November of 2010, through his role with the IVSC, Greg spoke at the World Congress of Accountants; an event that occurs every four years and attracts more than 6,000 participants. In addition to helping shape global valuation best practice and guidance, Greg is dedicated to developing a knowledge-sharing community at Deloitte, thereby better enabling our professionals to provide consistent service and maintain our leadership position in an ever changing valuation industry.
Greg’s 20 years of appraisal experience includes both valuation and valuation consulting related to entire business entities, business interests, various debt and equity securities, and intangible and intellectual property for both public corporations and privately held companies. In addition, Greg’s career has included experience valuing tangible assets such as real estate and machinery and equipment, as well as leading engagements involving all of the various asset classes.
Greg holds a bachelor's degree in mathematics and post graduate certificate in education from the University of London and a master of business administration degree in finance from the University of Pittsburgh. Greg is a CFA and holds the ASA accreditation.
In the News
Greg has been featured in the press. Read more:
- Accounting Today article: New Goodwill Impairment Standard Leaves Questions
- CFO article: Without Hoopla, Fair-Value Rule Is Readied