Meet Roberto Cortez
Director, Deloitte CRG
Roberto Cortez has more than 15 years of industry experience, including 12 years of experience providing assistance to creditors and other parties in bankruptcies, restructurings, turnarounds, liquidations, and related matters. Specific turnaround experience includes analysis of troubled and underperforming companies; preparation and evaluation of business and restructuring plans; development and assessment of cash management and reporting systems; assistance with formulation of projections; analysis of debt capacity; and a variety of related assistance across a range of industries.
In the bankruptcy and restructuring arenas, Mr. Cortez has provided analysis of debtors' financial conditions; evaluation of debtor-in-possession financing and cash collateral issues; assistance in developing plans of reorganization and disclosure statements; development and review of business plans; preparation of liquidation valuations; analyses of potential preference actions and bankruptcy claims; and other assistance in achieving successful in-court and out-of-court reorganizations or liquidations.
A few notable engagements include:
- Served as financial advisor to a bank and assisted in analyzing claims arising from foreclosures against borrowers who were in bankruptcy
- Assisted a global engineering and construction company with planning and resolving their asbestos liability exposure utilizing a 524(g) trust and preparing for a prepackaged Chapter 11 case
- Assisted the Committee of Unsecured Creditors (UCC) in the Chapter 11 filing of a $6.5 billion automotive/transportation parts manufacturer
- Assisted the UCC in the Chapter 11 filing of a Texas-based 280-store convenience store chain, including review of debtor budgets and projections, assistance with Plan of Reorganization, review of debtor accounting issues, four-wall store analyses, assistance with lease assumption, and rejection and consultation on DIP facility matters
- Served as the accountant and financial advisor to one of the largest retailers of building materials and home improvement products in the U.S. during its Chapter 11 proceedings
- Served as accountant and financial advisor to the eighth largest airline with $2 billion in assets during its Chapter 11 proceedings to help prepare bankruptcy reporting, including operating reports, negotiations, analysis of contracts, and assistance to company personnel
- Financial Services
Mr. Cortez is also a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), licensed in Texas and Washington, as well as a Certified Insolvency and Restructuring Advisor (CIRA) and a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE). He is a member of the Dallas Association of Young Bankruptcy Lawyers, the Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors, and the American Bankruptcy Institute.
- B.A., University of Washington and the University of Texas at Austin
As used in this document, “Deloitte” means Deloitte LLP [and its subsidiaries]. Please see www.deloitte.com/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting.