Meet Sheon Karol
Director, Deloitte CRG
Sheon Karol has a combination of turnaround, executive and legal experience spanning more than 20 years, with an emphasis on out-of-court restructurings, bankruptcy proceedings and mergers and acquisitions. Mr. Karol is an innovative, collaborative leader with experience in a wide variety of industries.
A seasoned executive and trusted advisor, Mr. Karol has served in a variety of management and interim management positions, such as chief restructuring officer (CRO) and senior vice president.
A few notable engagements include:
- CRO of a $1 billion private company, including successful renegotiation of its debt
- Financial advisor to Grupo Mexico in its successful retention of equity in ASARCO’s contested confirmation hearing
- Financial advisor to a biopharma company in the successful renegotiation of its debt
CRO of a destination club company
- Advisor to unsecured lenders in a successful consensual restructuring of notes, pagarés and other unsecured claims
- Advisor to the CRO in the sale of the Texas Rangers baseball team
- Senior vice president of real estate and construction, and managed more than $200 million in asset sales for Winn-Dixie, an $8 billion supermarket chain in Chapter 11, including the successful sale of 326 stores in a 90-day period
- Financial advisor to Impath Inc., a $250 million medical diagnostic company
- Guided the auction and sale of Farmland Industries, a $12 billion farm cooperative’s nitrogen fertilizer business, netting $25 million more than the stalking horse bid
- Senior vice president, general counsel and board secretary of Lechters Inc., a $400 million national kitchen and housewares retailer
- Provided restructuring advisory services for various companies, including a 145-store discount retailer
- Consumer goods
- Food and grocery
- Medical research
- Real estate
Prior to his corporate experience, Mr. Karol was a lawyer with a leading New York firm. His practice focused on mergers and acquisitions, private placements, securities, financing, bankruptcies and workouts. Mr. Karol also currently serves on the New York Board of Directors for the Turnaround Management Association and is the new Education Director of the American Bankruptcy Institute’s Asset Sales Committee. Additionally, he is a frequent speaker at restructuring and legal conferences and recently authored “2011 Year in Review: Chekhov’s Gun” in Bankruptcy and Private Equity Law 360 as well as coauthored “Protecting Director Assets in Troubled Times” in The Corporate Board. In the March 2011 issue of Turnarounds & Workouts, Mr. Karol was named one of the year’s People to Watch.
- B.A., Yeshiva College
- JD, Yale Law School
As used in this document, “Deloitte” means Deloitte LLP [and its subsidiaries]. Please see www.deloitte.com/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting.