Strategy and Execution: Fast Forward
CFOs are in the hot seat today. CEOs and others in the C-suite are increasingly looking to CFOs to actively drive business strategy along with financing strategies. But that doesn’t mean that the finance organization is ready to make the transition. Supporting the development and execution of business strategy—including finding the capital to invest in growth—takes having the right people, processes, and technologies in place and working toward the same goals. And many finance organizations just aren’t there yet.
Deloitte’s Responsive Finance services are designed to help CFOs in their efforts to identify the weak links in their organization, prioritize change efforts, and define the optimal operating model to increase the influence of Finance in the company, support the business, and align investment strategies with growth targets. The first step is to begin building a roadmap for achieving these goals.
This approach can introduce several important benefits to the finance organization, including:
- A clearer understanding of how the finance function supports the business organization
- A mirror for evaluating the current performance of Finance in terms of stakeholder expectations, best practices, and external benchmarks. This is an important way to set new goals for the future finance organization, identifying gaps between the current state and the desired state
- Insight into the principles that drive the future operating model for Finance
- A detailed roadmap including proper sequencing of improvement efforts, required resources, and appropriate measurements for implementation
There are a range of scenarios in which CFOs may need the insights that Deloitte’s Responsive Finance services can deliver, including:
- A new CFO struggles against the legacy of his predecessor, uncertain about the capabilities of his new organization
- Internal clients are dissatisfied with the quality of service Finance provides
- A shift in business strategy or organizational structure requires that Finance reorganize its activities or rethink how it contributes value to the business
- Merger or acquisition activity requires a quick assessment of resulting capabilities in Finance
- Frequent financial restatements or other evidence of deeper reporting problems occur repeatedly
- Cost reduction efforts demand a clearer view of priorities and efficiency
- New financial systems or significant upgrades introduce changes to existing processes and staff functions
- New standards such as IFRS require a fresh approach and detailed planning
If any of these situations sound familiar, take heart: Deloitte’s Responsive Finance services can help you get underway very quickly. Based on prior experience, in only six to 12 weeks, we can help you redefine the finance function and set priorities for improvement.
Benefits & strategy
An integrated approach to strategic finance organizational change can deliver the following benefits:
- Actionable information in an appropriate
- Business context
- Better, more informed decision-making
- Integrated performance, risk, and compliance management
- Lower cost of information management
- A clear understanding of how Finance supports
- A detailed roadmap with proper sequencing for improvements, the resources it will require, and a guide to implementation
How Deloitte can help
As part of our Responsive Finance services, Deloitte provides access to Finance Function Scan, an advanced proprietary tool designed to help identify the strengths and weaknesses of a finance organization and support the prioritization of change efforts. Cost and process efficiency. Risk management. Regulatory compliance.
All are key parts of any serious effort to change the value equation for Finance. Here are a few of the ways the Finance Function Scan and SAP technology can help organizations in their efforts to improve their Finance function:
Assess current systems and processes
Deloitte can help companies as they determine how well their systems and processes are prepared to support change in the finance organization and establish a roadmap to help them get where they
need to be.
Design and plan for next-generation systems
There are more information management solutions available today than ever before, but knowing which ones can add the most value is difficult. Deloitte can help companies as they design solutions and IT architectures that match the business goals of Finance.
- SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise Performance Management solutions
- SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence solutions
- SAP BusinessObjects Governance, Risk, and Compliance solutions
Deloitte refers to one or more of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu, a Swiss Verein, and its network of member firms, each of which is a legally separate and independent entity. Please see www.deloitte.com/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu and its member firms.