Letting Go of the Status Quo – A Playbook for Transforming State Government
Book outlines bold actions state leaders can take to turn big ideas into big results
The new legislative season will be marked by the entrance of the largest freshman class of governors since 1936. These newcomers, regardless of party, campaigned to reduce costs, create jobs, and make government more efficient and effective. To help these state government leaders execute bold reforms, Deloitte has produced a Playbook that outlines how they can implement change, achieve their campaign goals, and position their states to thrive in the years ahead.
Letting Go of the Status Quo: A Playbook for Transforming State Government, lays out five broad avenues that both newly elected and incumbent governors can take to address voters’ call for change and refocus state government on the basics – especially jobs and economic prosperity. In addition to these five strategies, the Playbook provides a multifaceted action plan for each:
- Cost Reduction – The United States’ cumulative state fiscal gap could reach $119 billion by the end of FY 2011. From day one, legislators must begin cutting costs and streamlining state government to live within its means.
- Improving State Competitiveness – States not only compete against each other for jobs, talent and investments, but other nations as well. For states determined to move beyond their hard times and recharge their vitality, they’ll need to focus on competitiveness boosters like revitalizing infrastructure, pursuing radical education reform and reinventing economic development.
- Transforming Health and Human Services – Health and Human Services weigh heavily on state budgets.By making these targeted and more effective, states can streamline the system and save money.
- Overhauling State Operations – By making state government more innovative, more technologically proficient, and more attuned to emerging needs, leaders can regain public trust while also addressing the new challenges of the 21st century.
- Getting it Done - Big Ideas to Big Results – To succeed, government leaders must be able to transform their big ideas into initiatives, ensure strong implementation, and achieve big results.
Full of ideas and tools for transforming state government and advice from those who have done it, this playbook is a must-read for governors — and their legislative partners — who now need to deliver on their promises.
To download individual chapters, please click here.