Oil prices have quadrupled since 2003, with no ceiling in sight. The price has doubled in the last 14 months. The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), the U.S. Congress and the Group of Eight (G8) are all scrambling to calm markets and find relief. Experts predict prices above $200 per barrel in the next two years. How will we cope with this economic and security crisis?
Dr. Joseph A. Stanislaw, independent senior advisor, Energy & Resources, Deloitte LLP; former economist of the International Energy Agency; and co-author of The Commanding Heights: The Battle for the World Economy, appears on Oil ShockWave, a one-hour documentary bringing together thought leaders in energy, economics, the military, intelligence, politics and foreign relations.
At the center of Oil ShockWave is a groundbreaking war game. What would happen in the face of political upheaval or a large weather disruption on the scale of a hurricane? As political upheavals and attacks unfold during the simulation, the participants attempt to find a solution to the oil supply and price crisis, with short-term solutions scarce and pressures rising.
Hosted by Judy Woodruff, senior correspondent, The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer, the program includes interviews with these and other experts:
- Richard L. Armitage, former U.S. deputy Secretary of State
- Randy Beers, former Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director of Combating Terrorism
- Carol Browner, former Administrator, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Red Cavaney, President and Chief Executive Officer, American Petroleum Institute
- Richard Clarke, former Chief Counter-Terrorism Advisor, U.S. National Security Council
- Robert E. Rubin, former Secretary, U.S. Treasury
- Gene B. Sperling, Senior Fellow for Economic Studies, Council on Foreign Relations; former Director, National Economic Council
- General Charles F. Wald, U.S. Air Force (Ret.), former Commander of U.S. European Command
The Oil ShockWave documentary explores the hotly-debated topic of the world's oil supply and its effect on global politics. It recently aired on stations around the country. Future Oil ShockWave air dates will be posted as schedules are received.