Because understanding market fundamentals and expected future price levels is at the core of many strategic and tactical decisions of energy companies, MarketBuilder provides the capability to help many different users, in diverse companies, accomplish a variety of forecasting tasks. Deloitte MarketPoint solutions assist companies in achieving more accurate and transparent analysis for critical business decisions:
- Corporate planning and strategy
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Asset acquisition and/or divestiture
- Greenfield development
- Yield management and price differentiation
- Trading and marketing
- Asset rehabilitation
- Inventory management
- Investor relations
Who Uses MarketBuilder?
Our customers include large, integrated global energy companies in oil, gas, and power; companies owning energy assets; multi-service and alternative energy companies; commodities firms; financial services firms; and government agencies.
MarketBuilder is flexible and thorough, enabling it to model almost any type of commodity-based industry. Though Deloitte MarketPoint’s focus is in the energy industry (electricity, natural gas, coal, crude oil, refined products, etc.), almost any commodity market can be described and modeled with our solution. MarketBuilder can be a valuable tool to facilitate your accurate, confident forecasting for making strategic decisions.
Customer Use Examples
Major West Coast Utility
Using MarketBuilder to predict discretionary gas volumes, this major utility on the West Coast was able to better match its purchases to customer demand and has stated that, as a result, it has saved millions of dollars.
Regional Power Authority
Using MarketBuilder to better predict fuel prices, this governmental body was able to make decisions that improved its fuel procurement process, saving taxpayers millions.
Large Global Energy Company
Several different departments use MarketBuilder to facilitate better profit-related decision making:
- Market Research & Analytics used MarketBuilder to develop commercial points of view for various markets
- Corporate strategic planning used MarketBuilder for market analysis, and to assist in the price forecasting used to create annual plans
- Natural gas marketing used MarketBuilder to enhance their current market analysis
MarketBuilder: a match for important current market questions
Uncertainty affects each energy company differently. MarketBuilder helps customers understand forward markets by considering and analyzing the critical real-life factors with precision and transparency.
The questions below are examples of critical unknowns that might have a dramatic effect on a company’s strategic decisions:
- What is the impact of the delinking of natural gas to crude oil prices in Europe on my natural gas sales?
- How will carbon legislation or regulatory actions affect operating costs for my power portfolio?
- How will the development of shale gas affect fundamental prices for natural gas and other energy commodities?
- How will the future of LNG in North America affect my pipeline sales?
As used in this document, ‘Deloitte’ means Deloitte LLP (and its subsidiaries). Please see www.deloitte.com/us/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries.