About our Media & Entertainment practice
Content is king, and today media and entertainment companies are finding content creation, aggregation, and distribution—their fundamental ecosystem—ever-evolving and morphing as new technologies come into play that disrupt traditional business models. From interactive gaming, films, music, broadcast radio, television, and print and e-publishing to live entertainment, websites, web TV, advertising, and sports, M&E firms live or die based on how well they identify and manage trends.
Deloitte sees five major trends that are redefining media consumption. Digitization, wireless enablement, cloud computing, social media, and device proliferation are changing the media environment, often shifting the balance of power toward consumers, who now have the tools to manage and consume a nearly limitless volume of content. These technologies pose both challenges to overcome and exciting new business opportunities for M&E firms.
Deloitte’s media specialists can help businesses adapt to new challenges and evaluate new business opportunities, even as business cycles come and go. Our comprehensive services include:
- Formulating effective strategies to innovate around content choice and grow digital advertising
- Helping M&E firms expand into cloud-based business models to enable them to efficiently manage digital content and deliver a high-quality experience across all stages of digital media consumption
- Assessing and implementing social media strategies, aggregating consumer data, and evaluating emerging technologies and distribution channels, while adopting rigorous privacy and data protection
- Assisting companies throughout the digital value chain address changes in the business environment in areas such as mergers and acquisitions and post-merger integration; cross-border tax planning; integration, divestiture, and restructuring; contract risk and compliance, business valuation; and international tax/transfer pricing
- Working with companies expanding into digital business models around supply chain management; marketing effectiveness and customer analytics; pricing strategy; cost reduction; intellectual asset management; risk of cyber threat, identity, and access management; and risk management.
Deloitte plays a leading advisory role in the media and entertainment arena. Our clients include the top organizations in this sector, from cable and satellite operators to entertainment and media companies, interactive gaming, internet firms, publishers, music companies and advertisers.
In the U.S. we serve:
- Four of the top five cable operators and satellite operators
- Seven of the top ten TV station groups
- All the major studios
- Four of the top five music publishers
- Seven of the world's top ten advertising agencies
- All of the top five advertising agencies in the U.S.
- Four of the top five book publishers
- Three of the top five game publishers
- Three of the top five information services companies
- Four of the top five newspaper publishing companies
- Three of the top five search engines
- Three of the top four record labels
Many of our practitioners have come to us directly from industry careers, providing an insider’s view that enhances our already unique ability to help clients grapple with the critical business issues they’re dealing with now and anticipate in the future.
Our media and entertainment professionals are at the forefront of thought leadership in industry-related issues. They are actively involved in trade organizations as well as groups that regulate the industry including the Digital Entertainment Group (DEG), Interactive Advertising Burea (IAB) and the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). Our professionals are also engaged in writing articles and approached to serve as media sources to offer their perspectives on the leading industry trends and issues of the day.