2011 Survey of Health Care Consumers in Belgium
Global survey of health care consumers
For the first time, Deloitte has published research on consumers' behaviors, attitudes, and unmet needs based on their personal experiences and observations of Belgium's health care system. The Belgian health care system is undergoing major challenges and changes.
One important change is the shift from a patient-oriented to a consumer-oriented system of care. All stakeholders, rightfully so, are putting the patient in the central position of the “care” system. However, patients are often seen as disengaged and dependent. In reality, they are consumers, with an increasing desire to more actively participate in decisions about their health, health care, and associated costs.
Among survey key findings:
- Belgian consumers hold mixed views about the performance of their health care system: 6 in 10 believe that the system performs well; others believe that the system is wasteful and performance is not optimal.
- The economic downturn has forced the majority of Belgians to change their health care spending.
- Less than half of all consumers report having good health. Half have at least one chronic condition. 1 in 10 participates in healthy living/wellness programs.
- Consumers trust treatment, safety, and cost information from academic medical centers; few consumers, irrespective of generation, use independent, health-related websites or the Internet as trusted sources of information for best treatments or treatment costs.
- 9 in 10 consumers have primary care providers and overall satisfaction is high.
- 1 in 5 consumers uses alternative therapies in addition to or as a substitute for traditional therapies.
- 8 in 10 consumers have supplemental insurance and half of all consumers believe they are at least adequately insured across public and private plans. 3 in 10 consumers would stay with their employer to retain employer-sponsored insurance.
- 4 in 10 consumers view the Belgian health care system favorably and are satisfied.
The 2011 Survey of Health Care Consumers in Belgium offers health care industry leaders and policy makers a timely look at how health care consumerism is evolving, as well as a comprehensive perspective on how the Belgians approach their health, health care, and health insurance.
Download the full report below.