Security Along the Border: The Insider Threat
Building a secure workforce
Insider threat exists within every organization where employees comprise the core of an organization’s operational plan and are the key drivers of its mission execution. Changes in the way government agencies conduct their operations today increases the vulnerability to insider exploitation. The shift to a virtual and globally connected workforce, incentivized and equipped with technology to share information across agencies and borders, results in new threats that must be proactively managed. These changes call for a holistic approach that addresses the workforce, cyber security, infrastructure and physical security, and information access management, with a focus on mission and operational impact.
While there is no single answer to remove the insider threat, Deloitte’s tested solutions will address the challenges faced by government agencies and business. Using predictive analytics, human resource training, information technology monitoring tools, and cyber security expertise, our teams provide support that help organizations foresee and stop threats before they materialize. These tools give an organization’s leadership the information and perspective they need to take decisive steps to vet, monitor, and prepare the workforce.
The purpose of this paper is to define the risks associated with asset loss and an approach to mitigate an “insider” threat through the development and management of a secure workforce.
- Information leaks that threaten the safety and security of personnel and external assets, as well as undermine ongoing operations
- Potential sabotage of current systems, executed by employees or people given access to secure areas that could result in the loss of public confidence
- Impact on supply chain integrity that interferes with the import and export of crucial resources critical to the economy and/or national security apparatus
- Loss of proprietary to classified information that impacts national security and competitive edge by individuals who have been granted access
- Use of violence as a solution to a problem within an organization to destroy people, property, and reputation
- Michael G. Gelles, Director, Deloitte Consulting LLP
- John K. Cassidy, Manager, Deloitte Consulting LLP
As used in this document, “Deloitte” means Deloitte & Touche LLP, a subsidiary of Deloitte LLP. Please see www.deloitte.com/us/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting.