Breaking Through to the Cloud
Leveraging identity, credential, and access management to realize cloud potential
There is tremendous budgetary pressure on federal agencies to reduce information technology (IT) infrastructure support costs and deliver better services to stakeholders, especially citizens. Cloud computing offers an opportunity to accomplish both objectives. However, moving to the cloud without a plan for managing access to agency IT resources could leave an agency’s critical data more vulnerable to exploitation, corruption, and unavailability. Some of the challenges of migrating to the cloud include:
- Cloud service providers (CSPs) may accept several types of credentials for authentication but may not allow users to choose the credentials presented to CSP applications.
- Agencies are maturing their ICAM infrastructures and migrating to the cloud simultaneously, introducing new complexities and burdens to IT support staff.
- CSPs may not provide the analytics tools for agencies to automate their compliance reporting processes across CSP applications.
- De-provisioning processes in cloud applications may allow users to maintain access even after voluntary or involuntary separation from an agency.
- System administrators employed by a CSP could gain unauthorized access to personal and financial data normally stored on agencies’ internal servers.
Such challenges require the technical and business experience as well as expertise to integrate Identity, Credential and Access Management (ICAM) services with cloud applications. Deloitte provides Federal ICAM strategy, program support, and implementation services at 10 of 15 US Cabinet level agencies and has successfully demonstrated the experience and expertise it takes to enable secure cloud computing solutions at six Executive Branch agencies across the full scope of ICAM services for the cloud, including:
- Strategy and roadmap development
- Solution design and delivery
- Operations, maintenance, and continuous improvement
Building on our experience and lessons learned, Deloitte is in a distinct position to deliver valuable insights and drive trends in Federal ICAM, impacting how agencies leverage ICAM to support cloud computing.
Additionally, we have over 160 people dedicated to security and identity management, holding specialized certifications such as CISM, CISA, CISSP, CIPP, and ISC2 PMP. Deloitte has the expertise, resources, and experience to help any agency design and implement a comprehensive ICAM solution for the cloud.
As used in this document, “Deloitte” means Deloitte & Touche LLP, a subsidiary of Deloitte LLP. Please see www.deloitte.com/us/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting.