Key Issues In Global Shipping
Deloitte's Point of View on latest shipping trends
Working with shipping companies around the world, Deloitte member firms are privileged to hear the views of shipping executives on key issues affecting their industry. In this article, Deloitte's Transportation Leader, Paul O'Neill shares some of these insights.
Shipping companies face a myriad of challenges. From complying with a bevy of new rules mandating new security requirements, to rising fuel prices and inadequate infrastructure, to fears that a slowdown in global trade will reduce demand for services, industry executives are wrestling with numerous vexing issues. What follows is a summation of the issues foremost on the minds of shipping executives from around the world.
1. Safe ships: Homeland Security regulations
2. Fewer ships: Fleet portfolio/shipper consolidation
3. Fewer ports: Global hubbing/port consolidation
4. Better ports: Greater efficiency, better landside distribution
5. Enough ships: Capacity supply