M&A in emerging markets for consumer products companies
The siren song: How consumer products companies can add value and avoid the rocks
Emerging market growth has become the siren song of the consumer products (CP) industry. Like sailors in Greek mythology, CP company leaders can be lured by emerging market M&A opportunities only to find themselves shipwrecked on the rocky coast of a remote island with little or nothing to show for the risks they took by heeding the calls to grow.
This article explores issues that CP companies face when they consider engaging in emerging market M&A or strategic partnerships, among them:
- Why emerging markets are so alluring as potential sources of growth
- Which types of organizations make attractive acquisitions and/or strategic partners
- What market, financial, and operational risks individual emerging markets may present
- Which strategies can help CP companies navigate unfamiliar – and, potentially, treacherous – waters
- Why companies should instill focus and pursue targets that can add near-term value and provide long-term positional advantages
Download the attachment to read more.