The Future of Security: Evolve or Die
New organizational realities demand executive attention
Over the past several years, the pace of IT development has accelerated and cyber threats have multiplied. Unfortunately, many security functions have failed to match that pace and meet those threats. As the evolution of security struggles with the dynamic environments whose risks must be managed, it is time for a new approach to information security.
An effective security program needs to address the most significant risks that the organization faces. Unfortunately, few senior executives understand the real challenges their IT security professionals have to handle. The future of security depends on senior executives and CIOs urging and enabling organizations to evolve as the environment evolves. A new white paper, The Future of Security: Evolve or Die from Deloitte’s Center for Security and Privacy Solutions may help senior executives, CIOs, and CISOs chart the future of security in their organizations.
This paper presents a compelling discussion of key security issues and challenges that organizations face, along with steps to consider in response, during the evolution process:
- Social media sites and blogs open new avenues of attack. Organizations need to be educated about limitations and risks, and create governing policies, and train and educate their workforce.
- Mobile devices multiply potential avenues of attack; organizations must monitor usage, confirm secure configurations, and employ dynamic policies.
- Cloud computing adoption comes with associated risks. Organizations need to understand determine the opportunities and also the potential business and financial risks of public and private cloud environments.
- Software vulnerabilities are increasing with growing number of application releases. The approach to consider is anticipate and defend, define normal to identify abnormal, and exercise vigilance.
- Access management is still primitive. The approach can be to master the basics, analyze your needs, and adapt as you go.
To learn more about how to enable your security function to accelerate its own evolution, please download the full report. We’d love to hear your thoughts on this topic. Please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.