Student financial aid for non-residents - 24/10/2013
What is new?
Following the judgement of 20th June 2013 of the European Court of Justice, frontier workers and their family members residing outside Luxembourg can now benefit from Luxembourg student financial aid. This aid is available to the children of non-residents who are nationals of Luxembourg, the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland. The parents claiming the aid on behalf of their children are required to have worked continuously in Luxembourg for a minimum of 5 years and for at least 50% of the legal working hours at the date of the request. This student financial aid only applies to those students in higher education.
The maximum amount of financial aid available is EUR 16.700 (inclusive of subscription fee) per academic year. This aid is available for a limited period of time depending on the nature of the studies undertaken (e.g. a maximum of 4 years of aid is granted for a 3 years bachelor degree). The financial aid granted is paid twice per annum (i.e. once per semester) and is, in principle, split as follows:
- 50% as a scholarship; and
- 50% as a student loan (at 2% interest rate).
It should be noted that there is no obligation to take out the loan.
How can I benefit from it?
To apply for the aid, you should complete the form mentioned below, before attaching all the requested documents. Thereafter, the form and the attachments should be sent to the CEDIES offices by 30th November 2013, at the latest, for studies starting in the winter semester of the 2013/2014 academic year and by 30th April 2014, at the latest, for studies starting in the summer semester of the 2013/2014 academic year.
The forms for the 2013/2014 academic year are available for completion on the CEDIES’ website during the following periods:
- Winter semester : 1st August to 31st October 2013
- Summer semester: 1st January to 31st March 2014
Students who have already received the financial aid for the winter semester can request the second part of the aid for the summer semester of the 2013/2014 academic year. To do so, they should complete the required form, which is available from 1st January 2014, (on the CEDIES website) before sending it by 31st July 2014 at the latest.
Students should receive their financial aid 2 to 4 weeks after receipt of their approval letter from the CEDIES.
Finally, it is worth noting that the Luxembourg authorities will not accept any completed form sent by fax or e-mail. In addition, any request filed late will be rejected by the Luxembourg authorities.
What kind of documents should I provide to the Luxembourg authorities?
- Copy of ID card or passport
- Birth certificate of the student (including details of their parents)
- Extract of marital status
- Affiliation certificate from CCSS for the student
- Affiliation certificate from CCSS from at least one of the student’s parents
- Payslip of the parent’s working in Luxembourg detailing the number of working hours spent in Luxembourg per week
- Banking details of the student
- Study certificate from the university (must be provided only in French, German or English)
- Invoice of costs paid for the registration to the university
- Proof that the student is still part of his parents’ household (e.g. family allowances certificate)
- Proof that the student has requested student financial aid in his country of residence
- The form is available in French or in German on the following website:
- Cedies office:
209, route d’Esch