An organisation is concerned that they are in breach of EU directives and the Irish Copyright and Related Rights Act 2000.
Using specialised scanning software, we carried out a routine audit on 200 computers for this organisation. The objective of the scan was to determine whether or not unlicensed copyright protected data, such as digital copies of motion pictures, photographs or music were being stored on the network.
- An initial scan was performed on the computers, looking for copyright material.
- Based on the results of the scan a more detailed review was performed which involved taking a copy of a computer’s hard drive in accordance with established best practice evidentiary procedures.
- Analysis was then performed on the drive using specialised forensic software tools.
- A male member of staff had accessed inappropriate sites and had downloaded offensive material.
- The individual had spent an excessive amount of time on websites unrelated to the companies business.
- Copyright material was discovered on his computer including movies, music and pornographic material