The decade ahead: Video podcast
Preparing for an unpredictable future in the global chemical industry
A team of three Deloitte chemical leaders gathered to discussed the key findings included in the report “The decade ahead: Preparing for an unpredictable future in the global chemical industry,” including Tim Hanley, Global Chemical Group Leader, Tom Marriott, U.S. Chemical Group Leader, and Duane Dickson.
During the 20 minute session, the team openly discussed a range of questions impacting the chemical industry now and how it may evolve over the next 10 years:
- What makes the “Great Recession” different and more difficult than other recessions? How is the chemical industry dealing with it?
- Developing economies have become increasingly important to the global chemical industry. How do you see this playing out over the next decade?
- The specialty chemicals sector has enjoyed better margins than the commodity sector. Is this still true?
- What should specialty chemical companies do to prepare for the future?
- Is this a “reset” or “rebound” world”? What is a “reset” and what does it mean?
- Innovation – spending on research and development (R&D) is down. Sounds like a dilemma. What are your thoughts?
- Scenario planning – Why should chemical companies rethink the importance of scenario planning?
- What are the scenarios that are most plausible?
- What are the significant implications of the scenarios?
- How would you advise clients going forward?