Please explore upcoming programs or access archived programs below.
Registration for the Q3 (July - September 2013) program will be ready in early July.
Energy & Resources
Energy and Resource M&A: Planning for Possible Tax Issues that Might Surface - Focus on Chinese Investors
23 May 2013
Host: Chris Roberge
Presenters: Lillian Xiao and Andrew Zhu
Many energy and resource (E&R) companies around the world, especially from China, are engaged in M&A activities across the Asia Pacific region. With all this expansion and investment of capital, numerous tax issues potentially arise, including some that are unique to Chinese companies. What should E&R executives know? We'll discuss:
- Chinese outbound tax planning issues unique to E&R companies.
- Foreign country investee tax issues.
- Application of sovereign entity doctrine principles and related issues.
Understand possible tax issues arising from E&R companies' M&A activity around the region and ways your company can address them.
Register for this webcast
FATCA Final Regulations: Implications for Asia Pacific Financial Institutions
26 March 2013
Host: Jim Calvin
Presenters: Austin Chen and Sharon Lam
On 17 January, the U.S. Treasury Department and the IRS released final regulations on the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA). Yet while final rules are now in place, many countries have not announced or signed Intergovernmental Agreements (IGAs). How can Asia Pacific institutions comply without knowing which rules apply? We'll discuss:
- Changes reflected in the final FATCA rules and implications for Asia Pacific financial institutions.
- The latest information on Asia Pacific negotiation of IGAs, including insights on which rules might prevail in major financial centers.
- Various compliance models and how some institutions may reconcile rule differences without knowing which rules may apply.
Understand the final FATCA regulations and their implications, and explore ways your organization can respond.
Energy & Resources
The Taxation Regime in Timor-Leste: Recent Developments in the Petroleum Sector
14 March 2013
Host: Harold Payne
Presenters: Karen Green, Guarav Sareen, and Nilesh Sewpal
Increased audit focus by the Timor-Leste revenue authorities and recent changes in the tax system require greater vigilance by corporate taxpayers. What steps are you taking to ensure compliance with your Timor-Leste tax obligations? We'll discuss:
- An overview of the taxation system applicable to the petroleum sector.
- Recent tax changes, including limitation of deductions, transfer pricing, and aggressive enforcement.
- Issues and challenges facing taxpayers, including physical presence and representation in Timor-Leste, record-keeping, tax rulings to clarify ambiguities, prescription period applicable to assessments, objections and appeals, and de-registrations and winding up of tax affairs.
- Potential implications for non-compliance, including monetary penalties and criminal sanctions.
Learn about steps you can take to address your organization's compliance with the Timor-Leste tax system.