Human Rights: At DTT member firms 2007/2008
Employer of Choice strategy
Around the world, DTT member firms have programs that help professionals maintain a healthy work-life balance, manage their careers and performance, develop new skills and knowledge, and secure healthy and safe working conditions. During 2006/2007, independent third parties recognized DTT member firms on 23 occasions in 14 countries as being Employers of Choice. In 2007/2008 DTT member firms were recognized on 27 occasions in 10 countries.
Internal awareness building around sustainable development
In January 2007, DTT launched an internal e-learning course to introduce member firm client service professionals to issues of business sustainability and to promote an understanding of the impact of business on society. At the time of reporting, nearly 100 professionals had taken the course and feedback was very positive. Since then, the number of participants has increased significantly with nearly 1,400 member firm professionals having completed the course as of August 2008.
Work-life balance initiatives
To enable a healthy balance between work life and private/family life, many DTT member firms put work-life balance initiatives in place.
- Last year, for example, Deloitte Belgium started offering coaching sessions for partners in response to employee requests submitted through the people survey. The sessions emphasize career guidance and quality conversations with people, work-life balance (including self-energy management) courses, and broader offerings of non-technical skills programs. Since January 2007, 55 Deloitte Belgium employees have attended coaching sessions and 179 Deloitte Belgium employees have participated in self-energy management courses.
- Deloitte Belgium also recruits more people to balance the workload as the business continues to grow. The member firm uses modern communication tools to help its people produce quality work while allowing flexibility in time and location. In addition, employees are coached in the personal and business benefits of a positive work-life balance. Efforts are made to reduce the unnecessary burdens of over-complex administration, allowing people to make more productive use of their time. Finally, a Women in the Workforce (WIW) program has been created that specifically targets the flexibility requirements of women professionals.
- In May 2008, Deloitte Denmark launched a work-life balance portal on the member firm's Intranet featuring interviews with professionals at all levels of the organization discussing how to maintain a healthy work-life balance. At the same time, the member firm launched a strategic approach whereby work-life balance concerns are integrated into annual employee performance evaluation and goal setting discussions. This allows the member firm to more effectively plan business activities and employees to better manage their professional and private commitments.
- Deloitte South Africa has three Flexible Work Arrangement options in place. These are flexi-time, reduced week or reduced portfolio, and part-time. In addition, to facilitate the training of those whose family responsibilities make attendance at overnight residential seminars difficult, Deloitte South Africa permits employees to bring babies less than two years of age and a care giver with them for the duration of the seminar.
Health and well-being initiatives
The health and well-being of employees is of great concern to member firms and several member firms have put programs in place to help employees stay fit and healthy.
- Deloitte UK, for example, launched a "Well Now" initiative providing a range of new health facilities to help UK member firm people stay healthy. The London campus benefits from an on-site health suite with a doctor and a dentist as well as physiotherapy and other services. Also, the member firm is converting one of its underground car parks into dedicated cycle space, and member firm cyclists can purchase their bikes tax-free through "Bikes to Work," a government program supported by Deloitte UK.
- A doctor is always present at Deloitte Mexico offices and available for employee health checks or minor emergencies. The Mexican member firm also offers flu vaccine to all employees and information sessions in Spanish about avian flu and how to avoid it.
- Deloitte Argentina conducted theoretical and experiential workshops on stress management, ran a flu vaccination campaign, offered fortnightly treatment by a chiropractor, and conducted a workshop on the topic "Nutrition at Work."
Page Last Updated