Human Rights: In the Community 2006/2007
- DTT member firms in Belgium and the Netherlands are working with Close the Gap, an organization that strives to close the digital divide between the northern and southern hemispheres. Companies are invited to donate their used IT equipment to social projects in a number of selected African countries. In November 2006, Deloitte Belgium donated the 30,000th computer to the initiative.
- Professionals from the Lebanon office of Deloitte Middle East visited a public school affected by the July 2006 war to help renovate and beautify the damaged areas by planting flowers, painting the walls and collecting books for kindergarten students.
- To celebrate and renew member firm commitments to community investment activities, many member firms set aside a day of service each year called IMPACT Day. Since its inception, member firm participation in IMPACT Day has spread widely across the globe. Member firms' participation grew from six countries in 2004 to 30 countries in 2005. In 2006, 30 percent of the approximately 135,000 people of Deloitte member firms in 38 countries volunteered their time and services during this annual event.
- With a focus on improving youth education in impoverished areas, since 1999 Deloitte Mexico has been involved with the Meyalli School, which is devoted to the education of underprivileged children, ages 3-15. Within its continuous community investment program, this year, Deloitte Mexico has been working with the school on improving safety measures by teaching crime prevention and self-defense. The program was previously held at a school for deaf children, implementing better safety measures through the installation of visual alarms and crisis management training. In November 2006, the Centro Mexicano de Filantropía (CEMEFI) granted Deloitte Mexico its first "best practice in community investment" award, based on the success of the safety program.
- Volunteers from the D.C. office of Deloitte United States* started a two-year project with the Nonprofit Roundtable of Greater Washington to develop and test a regional strategic plan that defines the nonprofit sector's role in disaster response and recovery. Leaders from more than 40 nonprofits attended to start the implementation of business continuity plans for their organizations.
- Deloitte China has entered into an agreement with Lingnan University to co-run a three-year program to adopt a village in Yunnan province and support its sustainable development. The program's success will be measured in terms of the implementation of necessary advancements in public education, health and economic development. It is the first public-private sector collaboration involving a Hong Kong academic institution (Lingnan University), mainland academic institution (Yunnan University) and a commercial enterprise (Deloitte China)
- Deloitte China was awarded the prestigious Guangming Corporate Social Responsibility Award by one of the leading Chinese language media, Guangming Daily, whose judging panel comprised senior government officials. Deloitte China was the only CPA firm to win this recognition, and was one of only 20 award winners selected from 400 multinationals in China. Deloitte China was recognized based on a range of different initiatives, including its funding of a two-year nutrition research program for children in rural areas through the China Development Research Foundation, and the donation of 600,000 CNY (80,000 USD) to the "China Charity Foundation: Laureus Friends and Champions Fund," which supports China's youth, particularly the physically or mentally challenged, orphaned, juvenile delinquents or those whose parents are immigrant workers from poor rural areas now working in big cities.
* As used in this reporting, "Deloitte United States" means Deloitte & Touche USA LLP and/or one or more of its subsidiaries.
Page Last Updated