Women’s Empowerment Principles
The Women's Empowerment Principles are a set of principles for companies offering guidance on how to empower women in the workplace, marketplace, and community. They are the result of a collaboration between the United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM) and the United Nations Global Compact. The Principles emphasize the business case for corporate action to promote gender equality and women's empowerment, providing a “gender lens” through which business can survey and analyze current initiatives, benchmarks, and reporting practices.
Deloitte, a founding signatory to the Global Compact, is strongly committed to the empowerment of women throughout its organization and in the community. Deloitte representatives, including Jim Wall, Deloitte’s Chief Diversity Officer, contributed insights and provided feedback on the Principles as they were being developed.
Women’s Empowerment Principles in brief
- Establish high-level corporate leadership for gender equality.
- Treat all women and men fairly at work – respect and support human rights and nondiscrimination.
- Ensure the health, safety, and well-being of all women and men workers.
- Promote education, training, and professional development for women.
- Implement enterprise development, supply chain, and marketing practices that empower women.
- Promote equality through community initiatives and advocacy.
- Measure and publicly report on progress to achieve gender equality.
Deloitte Global CEO Jim Quigley is a signatory to the CEO Statement of Support for the Principles, reiterating Deloitte’s commitment to the empowerment of women, and the importance of diversity and inclusion to Deloitte’s business strategy.
“Harnessing strength from a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives allows Deloitte member firm professionals to bring a more diverse perspective to their client engagements, as well as create a culture that is a magnet for talent,” said Jim Quigley. “The Women’s Empowerment Principles are a means to formalizing our commitment to promote gender equality throughout the Deloitte organization and our communities worldwide.”
To learn more about the Diversity and Inclusion at Deloitte, please visit www.deloitte.com/diversity.
For more information regarding the Women’s Empowerment Principles, visit the United Nations website.