Deloitte and the UN Global Compact: Our Communication on Progress
Our global Shared Values and Ethical Principles strongly support and advocate respect and fair treatment of all employees wherever we operate. This is exemplified in our global People Commitment Survey that demonstrate our openness related to working conditions and expectations of the individual as well as involvement of people in decisions that affect them.
Our global Shared Values include respect for cultural diversity. While multiculturalism describes our organization, inclusion describes our vision and commitment to work together by understanding and respecting differences. This applies to the way we treat our people, our clients, and members of the community. Ways in which we seek to eliminate discrimination include:
- Diversity initiatives in many Deloitte practices that encourage the continued sharing of knowledge and resources across countries to make Deloitte a best practice example in diversity management. Supporting diversity in our workforce helps us attract and retain the best people, serve our global clients better, enhance creativity and innovation, and enrich our global working culture. Examples of current programs include our Women's Initiative in the U.S., our Multi-Cultural Development Programme in South Africa.
- Development of a global Multiculturalism and Inclusion strategy which will seek to actively create opportunities for all our people to participate in all aspects of our firm. While our national practices are united by this vision, our Multiculturalism and Inclusion initiative respectfully recognizes that implementation of related programs will be shaped by local and national cultures.
- Our strategy also includes expanding global learning programs on developing skills to work cross-culturally and with diversity. We provide ongoing development of the skills and qualifications of our employees to help them advance and grow their careers and to make Deloitte a successful, knowledge- and innovation-driven firm.
- Our Ethical Principles ask that member firms put procedures in place to address employee grievances.
- Our Global Excellence Model (gEm) helps us to manage professional performance and development, ensuring transparency about expectations and performance and clarifications around requirements for promotion and advancement.
- In our communities, we contribute to the elimination of discrimination through capacity building of disadvantaged groups in society. Examples include:
Chile: Deloitte partners with Cerro Navia Joven, a non-profit foundation, where our professionals provide legal advice to the underprivileged in Santiago, the nation's capital.
South Africa: Deloitte partners with the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants and the Department of Labor to assist in the development of accounting and quantitative skills among historically disadvantaged groups.
Thailand: Deloitte ran a fund-raising campaign with the Duangprateep Foundation whereby Deloitte-matched employee contributions were used to build a sound laboratory for children with partial speech and hearing impairment.