Economic and trade sanctions are imposed by governments or multi-national organisations such as the EU or UN to further foreign policy objectives such as state security or human rights issues. Sanctions generally prohibit financial institutions and entities from entering into, or facilitating transactions involving, sanctioned regimes, designated entities or individuals in order to limit their access to capital markets and goods.
The challenges faced by organisations and relevant individuals to comply with these complex and stringent requirements should not be underestimated nor should the costs of non-compliance.
We have put together a briefing on sanctions to help understand the basis for US action on non US financial institutions.
This is an excerpt. To view the full length version, please contact us.
Deloitte has unparalleled experience in providing comprehensive, discrete and timely advice on sanctions screening risk management and compliance. We have worked with many of the largest UK, European and global financial institutions and have well established relations with all of the relevant regulators.
Our core services include:
- Benchmarking your current screening policy against the industry standard;
- Reviewing strategy, policy and matching methodologies to comply with sanctions screening legislation;
- Sanctions screening health checks to determine their continuing effectiveness;
- Investigative services in order to establish the scale and root cause of non-compliance as well as assist management to contain the fallout from such matters;
- Screening technology selection and implementation; and
- Providing staff training.
- Download our product card "Economic sanctions" to find out more about sanctions.
- A briefing on Sanctions: to view the full length version, please contact us.
- Anti-Money-Laundering and Economic Sanctions Compliance: Looking Beyond Borders