Head of Forensic and Dispute Services
Mark Tantam heads up the Forensic and Dispute Services practice. He is also Global Head of Investigations.
Mark has led or been involved in over 70 investigations including many of the largest in the areas of corruption, money laundering, and breach of sanctions. He has also led investigations into potential breaches of the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and US Sanctions legislation. Mark has also conducted a number of money laundering reviews for retail and investment banks for clients and the regulator.
Before joining Deloitte in 1990, Mark was a public prosecutor specialising in the investigation and prosecution of major frauds.
- Mark has advised a number of leading banks on their sanction procedures and specific sanction related issues.
- He has led a number of “look back” reviews designed to identify potential breaches of OFAC Sanctions on behalf of European financial institutions. These look backs have covered SWIFT payments, trade finance transactions and transactions over customer accounts.
- Mark has played an integral role in the study of the laundering of Grand Corruption proceeds called “Banking Against Corruption”, published by the Society of Advanced Legal Studies.
- He is also the joint author of a chapter in Butterworth’s recent edition of Money Laundering Law and Practice guide that deals with implementing money laundering laws and regulations.
Mark has extensive experience in various types of irregularity including;
- Theft and diversion of monies;
- Inflation of profits;
- Procurement fraud;
- Payroll fraud;
- Expense fraud and corruption;
- Computer intrusions into banks,
- Market abuse and money laundering; and
- Breach of economic and trade sanctions.
Stakeholders in his work have included: the FSA, the SFO and various government departments in the UK, and the SEC, OFAC and the Department of Justice in the US.
Qualifications and professional membership
Former prosecutor with the Serious Fraud Office.
Mark holds the Securities Institute Diploma and is a Certified Fraud Examiner.
Tel: +44 (0)20 7936 3000
Email: Mark Tantam