Partner, Forensic and Dispute Services
Julian Colborne-Baber, a partner in Deloitte’s Forensic and Dispute Services practice, specialises in forensic advisory and conducting financial crime investigations.
Julian has led and advised on a number of cases involving corruption, sanctions, fraud and accounting irregularities. Julian is experienced in dealing with retained counsel, client management, other third parties and prosecutors and regulators.
- Has led 2 major US sanctions “Look Back investigations” on behalf of multi-national financial institutions and has been involved in a number of others. These involved advising the client’s stakeholders, including senior executives and external US legal counsel, on the investigation strategy and its implementation. As part of these Julian has presented to a number of different US authorities on a number of occasions;
- Has led an investigation into allegations of public bribery and corruption at major European petrochemical company. The work was conducted in Eastern Europe and involved working closely with the lawyers to report to the US authorities;
- Played a leading role on an investigation into allegations of public bribery and corruption at a European automotive manufacturer. The work was conducted in a number of countries around the globe, working closely with external counsel in execution of work plans and reporting of findings to the SEC and DoJ. Julian presented to the US authorities on a number of occasions;
- Has led and been involved in various project assisting financial institutions with anti-bribery programmes in the context of the UK Bribery Act 2010;
- Has led an investigation into accounting irregularities and fraud at a major bank involving liaising with and reporting to senior management and counsel of the group;
- Has led an investigation into allegations of misconduct and conflicts of interest of several senior employees at a financial institution;
- He has been involved in reviews of the controls in the areas of corruption, AML and sanctions for a variety of financial institutions; and
- Is currently leading a ‘past payments review’ regarding anti-bribery and corruption issues at a major financial institution.
Julian has written articles and presented at seminars on the topics of sanctions, corruption and financial crime.
Julian’s particular focus and expertise is in the financial services sector. He has also lead corruption and fraud work in the oil and gas, automotive, and technology sectors.
Julian qualified as a chartered accountant in the financial services practice of Arthur Andersen in 2001.
Tel: +44 (0)20 7303 2905